IMAX DCP

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
bengedlow

Re: IMAX DCP

Post by bengedlow »

So I"m wondering what getting an IMAX Certificate would entail? And how much? And if it's something that's relatively affordable (as opposed to the $1,000 a minute to have the DCP made by an IMAX endorsed post prod).

And then, if such is the case, I wonder what it would take to have DCP-o-matic add the parameters needed to produce an IMAX DCP (to which, with DCP-o-matic?) we could attach the IMAX Certificate)?

I've been told that the 4:3 frame of the current IMAX DCP is 4096x3072.

Just thinking out loud ...

Ben
bengedlow

Post by bengedlow »

Sounds very intriguing Aaron...

A perfect Combo: DCP-o-matic with your DCP-transfer. I've just tagged your site for the very near future.

I'm a little lost when it comes to certificates and the ISDFC et al ... and interfacing the different formats. So I'm just going to hover on this exchange and read and learn for awhile.

Ben
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Ben - I guess IMAX would never grant you access to their certificate or allow the use of other certificates to activate their systems to full 3D mode. They want to control their systems and obviously they make nice money mastering through their own facility.

About the 4096*3072 resolution - this may be the native input resolution for full screen IMAX aspect ratio features. It may be what native digital IMAX cameras deliver. As I wrote earlier - IMAX uses standard 4096*2160 imagers, 1.89:1, like all DCI projectors do. To fill the full IMAX screen at 1.43 aspect ratio, they play a vertically squeezed anamorphic image though their anamorphic lens, which then creates a 1.44 ar on screen.
But of course, in order to generate this 'full screen' content, you do not deliver the footage in non-square pixels - the conversion is done in their mastering. So, 4096*3072 may only be needed as source input resolution if you aim for full screen IMAX aspect ratio. All other standard ARs like flat or scope will be created in standard containers. And that is what you see in those IMAX trailers linked to above.

- Carsten
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

scorpio81 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:15 pm Why almost? IMAX DCPs may contain some commands embedded in the audio/video assets. I can tell that because some DCPs give command to Image Enhancer to change its operation mode and some don't. And we are not able to add these commands into show playlist manually. That's why I assume they are embedded in the assets.
Hmm, interesting. Maybe they add proprietary commands to the CPL? Maybe at some time you can get hold of an IMAX feature's metadata (everything except audio and video MXF). Now, don't risc your job ;-)

Ben - you may be able to get two versions of the Guardians of the Galaxy v2 2D trailer - one 'standard' DCI, and the IMAX laser version, and play both at your IMAX laser location. Then see what happens with respect to projector assignment. You can get the laser version from scorpios links above, I can supply the standard version if you like.

- Carsten
scorpio81

Post by scorpio81 »

Carsten wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:22 pmMaybe they add proprietary commands to the CPL?
Definitely not to the CPL. I've inspected many of the IMAX CPLs and never seen anything but standard DCI tags.
One thing I've noticed that is common to every IMAX DCP is the 2-second black and silent reel at the start and at the end. Maybe it contains some commands to execute system macros. As I've said earlier, we cannot add these macros manually to the playlist, they appear in the playlist only during playback. That's another interesting thing about IMAX that playlists are generated on the fly when opened for playback. They contain all the CPLs added manually and also contain some system CPLs and macros (depending on the content) added only when opened for playback.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Yes, I noticed these small 'unneccessary' black reels in the laser version of the Guardians trailers as well. I thought they may be needed for some equipment to get ready (e.g. second projector, sound system, etc), but it could be there is something coded in them. But it is also possible that the server software detects certain types of assets/CPL and then inserts these cues automatically. Yes, IMAX xenon uses modified Doremi servers, IMAX LASER uses modified Barco ICMPs. Doremi/Barco 'simply' added some extra functionality for IMAX.

Anyway - thanks for your insights, I was never able to even get close to an IMAX/operator to get a better idea about what they are doing.

- Carsten
scorpio81

Post by scorpio81 »

Slightly later I will tell you how IMAX deals with 3D HFR content. That's the most interesting thing. ;)
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Well I heard that IMAX xenon uses/d a second synced Doremi server for HFR. I am just not sure wether the systems then still use HD-SDI, or an IMB. I also guess the image enhancer blackbox must be bypassed, because I guess it does neither work with IMB nor high frame rates. But that's all speculation on my side.

- Carsten
scorpio81

Post by scorpio81 »

And here I am again, ready to tell about HFR.
Yes, there are two servers - master and slave. The master server is used for all the content, and the slave one - only for HFR. Also there are two DCPs - one for the left eye (contains IMAX3DL or something similar in the title) and one for the right (IMAX3DR). The content manager shows only 'left' DCP (for the master server) but ingests both automatically. There are two show playlists - for the 'left' DCP (it is the one created by a projectionist and visible on the show list) and for the 'right' (created automatically, fully identical to the master playlist and invisible).
Since there are two DCPs and two servers, then two KDMs are needed.
The Image Enhancer is bypassed because it can't 'enhance' framerates faster than 24 fps. But it is bypassed automatically when HFR content is detected. For 25 or 30 fps there is an option to bypass it manually. When not bypassed the image is distorted or even no image at all.
We showed 'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies' in IMAX 3D HFR. The HFR copy was about 600 GB in size, and the 24fps one was about 300 GB.
The IMAX 3D HFR content looks absolutely fantastic especially when compared to ordinary HFR.
auta

Post by auta »

Hi all
I'm looking for IMAX TLR\PROMO, maybe someone else has original IMAX DCPs?