VOB Conversion

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
EuroaCinema

VOB Conversion

Post by EuroaCinema »

Hello,

I am trying to convert a VOB file from a DVD into a DCP, however, I'm having some problems. After setting everything up (settings, options, etc.), I click on "Make DCP", but nothing happens really - the progress bar changes from "Encoding image data" to 100%/finished in about 2 seconds, which means that it hasn't actually encoded it at all. A couple of months ago, I successfully converted a different VOB file into a DCP, and it worked perfectly.

Is there any reason why it is doing this? I can successfully convert a MP4 files, just not a VOB file.

Thank-you,
Katherine.
carl
Site Admin

Re: VOB Conversion

Post by carl »

Hi Katherine,
Can you attach or send me (carl@dcpomatic.com) the "log" file from the failed encoding?
Thanks, Carl
EuroaCinema

Post by EuroaCinema »

Hi Carl,

Thank-you so much for your reply.
I have attached the log for the failed conversion.

Katherine.
Attachments
log.txt
Log for failed VOB conversion
(1.83 KiB) Downloaded 476 times
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Maybe wrong, but could be a simple path/length issue:

Could not open existing MXF at C:/Users\Katherine\Documents\Cinema\Dream Theatre\Journey\Journey - correct ratio- VOB\video\185_2K_7b9ff3b4a2c561b6019349b784827b07_25_bicubic_100000000_P_S.mxf

Try to put the project and source data in a simpler path not containing spaces, like C:/Users\Katherine\Documents\Cinema\DreamTheatre\Journey\VOB\

- Carsten
EuroaCinema

Post by EuroaCinema »

Hello,

Have just tried to run another conversion - this time I name the project just vobtest - same result unfortunately.

I've attached another log for the failed conversion in case it's helpful.

Katherine.

log.txt
Log for failed vob conversion
(3.38 KiB) Downloaded 483 times
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Hi Katherine,

Thanks. I'm afraid that's a tricky one. I'm still looking into it.
Cheers, Carl
EuroaCinema

Post by EuroaCinema »

Thanks Carl!
FannieJane

Post by FannieJane »

I use Pavtube Video Converter Ultimate

http://www.multipelife.com/video-converter-ultimate

And it works perfectly for VOB conversion. You don't have to keep changing to different programs to get done. This is by far the best product that you will ever use are need.
FlamesKuro

Post by FlamesKuro »

Sorry to bother you guys, but this should be the only thread I can find about video conversion. Recently I recorded a gameplay video with Fraps and later found it was too big. So I downloaded this program (as you can see: http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/ti ... ideos.html) to help me compress it. But after conversion, the original AVI file got converted into MP4 and I found there was some quality loss and the frame rate also dropped a little. I want to know whether you guys know any better parameter settings which can make it better?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Sorry, but this forum is dedicated to DCP conversion, not for general video compression issues. There are MANY other forums dealing with video compression, believe me.

I suggest you try 'Handbrake'.

- Carsten