exFAT seemed to work, but...

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Terraform

Re: exFAT seemed to work, but...

Post by Terraform »

Right now mainly festivals.
1 film at a time. (we have already projected at several fests of varying size with our DCP we had made)
We may also be looking for limited theatrical run in major cities but this isn't something I am going to be doing often.
Just something I will want to do with each of the films I make so MAX 1/ year but likely far less than that.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I'd say go with NTFS for now. Tuxera comes free with some Toshiba external drives that are labelled 'Mac compatible' (every USB drive is Mac compatible, but these came labeled as such and contain the Tuxera NTFS driver with an OEM license). Even if you buy Tuxera for 25US$/€ it is well worth the price. It is also very fast in writing to NTFS discs. But nothing speaks against installing Fuse for macOS and FUSE-ext2 as well.

- Carsten
Last edited by Carsten on Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Terraform

Post by Terraform »

OK so if I went with Tuxera I am going to format it NTFS and NOT ext2 or ext3?
And I did go ahead and download Fuse and FUSE-ext2 and install them however I can't find any information on how to use these systems to format a drive... There is no GUI for these correct (or at least I don't see one in my apps folder)

I do however see a grayed out option in Tuxera when I click on the dive.

OH and BTW I did happen to buy a Toshiba and it is mounting as NTFS.
If this is the case is there no need to re-format? (says preferred byte size is 512 and I know you said 128 is ideal)
Sorry to be such a pain in the butt.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

There is no application with MacFuse and fuse-ext other than the control panel. The default installation may be read only, hence no option to format a drive in ext2. There is some documentation on how to enable write support or fuse-ext. There is an ext2 format option in OS X disc utility when fuse-ext is installed. However, the latest version of fuse-ext is not completely Capitan/Sierra compatible. There are ways to get it working, but I guess it demands too much. So, another reason to use NTFS for now.

You can use any NTFS formatted drive as is, the inode size 128 is of concern for ext formatted drives, there is no such option for NTFS necessary. Make sure the drive is partitioned as MBR, not GUID/GPT. As GUID/GPT is the default nowadays for most modern Desktop OSs, you need to force the drive init to MBR explicitely. OS X has it under erase options in disc utility.

MBR is the partition basis, and then the drive can hold either HFS+, NTFS, or ext2 filesystem. As drives larger than 2TB must be partitioned with GUID/GPT, and some servers do not work with drives larger than 2TB, don't use drives > 2TB for DCP transport.

- Carsten
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Here is a list of Toshiba drives that are eligible for the free OEM , full featured Tuxera NTFS driver, and some hints on how to update an older Tuxera NTFS to the current 2016 version, supporting El Capitan and Sierra:

http://support.toshiba.com/support/view ... Id=4008404

The Toshiba drive needs to be connected to the Mac during the installation of the Tuxera drivers. After installation, the Tuxera drivers will also work with other, non-Toshiba NTFS drives, HDs, SSDs, and sticks. The speed improvement over the free NTFS-3G is significant, at least if USB3.0 or other faster interfaces are used.

- Carsten
gunnar

Post by gunnar »

exFat is not officially supported format.
I work in 3 screen cinema, we have in room nr 1 Dolby DSS200 server. That server can read exFat but in room 2 and 3 i have DoReMi IMS1000 servers (Branded as NEC NP-90MS01) the IMS1000 does not read exFat at all.
It does happen on festivals that i get exFat formated disk, i usually have no time to think much about it so i just connect the hard drive to the computer and copy the dcp from it to another drive so i can ingest it on the IMS 1000.

The only thing that i can always know for sure will work is of curse the EXT2 and EXT3, then the NTFS windows format does never have any problem eather.

I suggest everyone to stick to the EXT2, that is the only format you can be sure about will work everywhere.
I am Windows user and so i can read and write to EXT2 on Windows i use the Open source Ext2Fsd for windows: http://www.ext2fsd.com/
To format new drive as EXT2 i then use the free version of MiniTool Partition Wizard: https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-pa ... nager.html

I dont know how this is done on mac (have never had need of doing it) and if you use linux then you dont need to do anything special since EXT2 is linux format :)