Mac - start up with no prefes/config file?

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Carsten

Mac - start up with no prefes/config file?

Post by Carsten »

I renamed my DOM prefs folder to find out what DOM will do if it is missing (I also had older prefs from previous versions there as well, and it wasn't clear to me what is currently used).

So, when I renamed Preferences/com.dcpomatic to Preferences/xcom.dcpomatic, DOM came up with a splash screen ('Setting up...'), but then an error message comes up, and quits, leaving an empty com.dcpomatic/2 folder.
So, what happens on a machine where DOM has never been installed before? Why does 2.11.16 quit upon finding no config.xml, instead of creating a default file? Are there other places with settings? In which config file does DOM store the location of the config file? ;-)

http://dcpomatic.com/manual/html/ch17.html

...this seems to be a bug in the test version, when I have no com.dcpomatic prefs folder and start up 2.10.5 release version, it comes up with the same splash screen, but successfully creates config.xml and cinemas.xml file. (Yes, I understand it may be a bad idea for a complete beginner to start with a test version ;-) )

Anyway - I found out what I wanted to find out - current versions of DOM only use the config.xml and cinemas.xml within the Preferences/com.dcpomatic/2 folder. If you use project templates, there will also be a 'templates' folder within.

BTW - the recent Mac test version prefs are not compatible with 2.10.5 release, so, when switching between the two, prefs are reset (see second screenshot). Would it be useful to have a separate set of prefs for release and test versions?

- Carsten
Bildschirmfoto 2017-07-29 um 15.38.03.jpg
Bildschirmfoto 2017-07-29 um 15.55.16.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
carl
Site Admin

Re: Mac - start up with no prefes/config file?

Post by carl »

Hi Carsten, well spotted, should be fixed in 2.11.17.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Hi Carl - when I configure a dedicated config.xml file location in prefs - where does DOM store/retrieve that location, if not from some other config means?

- Carsten
SushmaV

Post by SushmaV »

Hi.
Even my test version of 2.13.144 quit unexpectedly when I clicked 'add file'.
I then deleted the app from my applications folder to download the app again. But it seems to download the 'test' version again.
How do i get out of 'test' version?
Thanks.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Please can you click "report" when it crashes and send me the text that it displays?