BUG: exporting multiple DCP from same project

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
glancemedia

BUG: exporting multiple DCP from same project

Post by glancemedia »

Hi. I found a bug, when i try to export multiple DCP packages from one project. I need this to create packages with different sound levels.

Problem: after creating second package from the same project without closing it (project), first exported DCP package gets corrupted
If I close and reopnen project between exports, all packages are exported correctly.

How to reproduce:
1. set up project, and export DCP package ("DCP_out_1")
2. make backup copy of exported DCP package ("DCP_out_1_copy")
3. go back to GUI, change at least DCP package name (so it gets exported to new folder), and change sound level, export as new package ("DCP_out_2")
4. compare "DCP_out_1" and "DCP_out_1_copy", and check that some files of DCP_out_1 have changed their content
Carsten

Re: BUG: exporting multiple DCP from same project

Post by Carsten »

Ooops, that's a nasty one indeed, wrecking an existing working DCP, that can happen quickly and stay unnoticed until the DCP is ingested on the server.

At first sight, this doesn't seem to happen here with 2.11.19 (Sierra), both DCP folders appear to be correct - however:

After I create the first DCP, it loads and plays nicely in DOM and DOM player. When I create the second DCP with JUST a different name, the creation goes very fast as expected - but the first DCP that worked before now demands an OV when I try to open it in DOM and DOM player, while the second is okay.
It seems there is something going on around creating OV/VFs, even when 'refer to existing DCP' is not ticked... Seems it only happens in the metadata.

Carl - I attached the the files so you can have a look. Happens both with IOP and SMPTE.

- Carsten
Attachments
Bunny_wrecked.zip
(62.08 KiB) Downloaded 370 times
Bildschirmfoto 2017-08-24 um 14.40.31.png
Bildschirmfoto 2017-08-24 um 14.40.31.png (154.02 KiB) Viewed 7575 times
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Thanks both for investigating this. I think the bug has been there for years! It should be fixed in 2.11.22.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Wow, how did that slip through? Was it a side effect of versioning/OV/VF? Because that is not so old...

- Carsten
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

I'm not sure how nobody noticed before... DCP 1 is made, its video asset is hard-linked to a "copy" in the video/ folder. When you create DCP 2 it sees that it already has a video file which could be right so it uses the data from it but re-writes its ID. Hence the hard-linked copy in DCP 1 is corrupted.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Hmm, okay. I remember I did sound level variations often, but that was some time ago. Very often now I recreate DCPs, but then I usually do not use the first DCP anymore but only the following.

- Carsten