Extra black frame between reels

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
rajeevs

Extra black frame between reels

Post by rajeevs »

Hi All ,

I am trying to create a dcp of a project which has been divided into 6 reels . Each reel has about 20k dpx files .
After I load the dpx files and after giving the exact timing details , I find that between two reels dcp-o-matic adds a a single black frame .
I am not sure why this is being done . Or is there any configuration change that has to be made to avoid the black frames between reels ?
Please let me know .

My version is 2.10.5 and the project is 24fps . I haven't added the sound files yet .
Carsten

Re: Extra black frame between reels

Post by Carsten »

Well, there shouldn't be black frames. Go to timeline view and check 'keep video in sequence'. Does it make a difference?

- Carsten
rajeevs

Post by rajeevs »

Thank you for the reply Carsten !
The 'snap' and 'keep video in sequence' are checked but I still see the black frame .
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Can you post screenshots of the content list, and of the timeline view? And I guess, Carl could use your metadata/project file.

I remember we had an issue with image series/reel alignment not too long ago, I should find it in the forum. You may try the current test version. But make sure you backup your 2.10.5 settings before.

- Carsten
rajeevs

Post by rajeevs »

I am sending you the metadata and screenshots of the project with just two reels and there appears a single black frame between the reels .
The Content list
Content.JPG
Content.JPG (21.59 KiB) Viewed 10136 times
The Timeline
timeline.JPG
timeline.JPG (26.52 KiB) Viewed 10136 times
Also attached is the metadata zip
metadata.zip
(121.3 KiB) Downloaded 311 times
file .

I downloaded the test version(v2.11.19) and I did open the same project , surprisingly the black frame isn't appearing in between the reels .
However the test version is a bit off in color reproduction (the images are too dark, which i can understand is because is a test version ) so can't use it for DCP creation .

Thanks for looking into this !
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I think the test version actually was meant to fix some (log) DPX issues. Now, for good or bad, I don't know.

Are you using log DPX?

- Carsten
rajeevs

Post by rajeevs »

I am using linear DPX files .
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Maybe that log fix created a different issue with lin DPX files? Although that seems unlikely. Probably not easy to find out what is going on. How do you establish your reference?

- Carsten
rajeevs

Post by rajeevs »

Thanks Carsten!

Attaching screenshots from both

This is from v2.10.5
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (162.85 KiB) Viewed 10111 times
This is from the test version
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (204.28 KiB) Viewed 10111 times
These are viewed with the DCPoMatic player . The test versions colors are too dark and aren't close to what was color graded .
Please let me know if there are any options to have the colors fixed in the test version or the black frame in the v2.10.5
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Oh wow, that is far from being subtle ;-)

Maybe that IS created by the log fix. Carl should probably have a look at that.

Since you have single image series, should be no problem to send a single DPX file to Carl, so he can test it.

This is the thread where it came up:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=835

- and from the changelog, Carl fixed log DPX afterwards - in this thread, skiff had the problem the other way round, his log DPX were interpreted as lin, now, your lin DPX seem to be interpreted as log...

Now, I don't know if there is a header in DPX files indicating them as lin or log (I would assume there is). So either, DOM get's this wrong, your files are wrong, or, DOM needs to have a manual override for DPX log/lin selection.

- Carsten
Last edited by Carsten on Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.