n00b - Quick Questions (Mac OS 10.10.5)

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Terraform

n00b - Quick Questions (Mac OS 10.10.5)

Post by Terraform »

Hello there!

I am a first time DCP maker. I have had my files professional prepared by a post house and successfully made into a DCP by a 3rd party for the start of my festival run, but now we are getting into some festivals that require subtitles in other languages and I thought I would use this opportunity to learn how to make DCP's myself so I don't need to rely on others.

I have a couple of basic questions that I would love to have answered before I dive deep in.

1. HDD formatting - On the DCP I had made for me the HDD was formated in some proprietary LINUX format that my MAC OS can not mount much less read. I am assuming that since DCP-o-matic has a MAC version that I can author to a HDD that is not in this format. (a) is that true? (b) does that come with any caveats? i.e. will all projectors play DCP's authored from a MAC or will only the more modern ones? I am talking my film to Colombia (Bogota) and don't have any idea the venue's facilities and communication has been slow and not so descriptive so I can't be that I will know until I get there :-)

Also any HD suggestions (best bang for buck / compatibility) The ones I have been using so far are Toshiba 500GB USB 3.0 but if there is something better I am all ears.

2. Subtitles - I would ideally like to have several subtitles on each DCP drive. Is there anything that I should know that could save me headaches moving forward with this goal?

3. Frame Rates - My original footage was shot 25fps. I had the post house make a 24fps version as well (along with 5.1 audio tracks for each frame rate). Is it possible to have multiple frame rates on the same drive as well as multiple subtitle tracks.

4. 5.1 / Stereo - Pretty much same question... is there any benefit to loading both 5.1 and Stereo mixes to the same DCP drive in case the venue does not have 5.1 and if so... any tips or suggestions on how to do this correctly?

5. Projectionist Notes - I was told by the projectionist when we first tested my original DCP that there should be some notes on the drive which tell the projectionist what is happening with the multiple files (i.e. frame rates, sound, subtitles etc...) could someone shed some light on the proper way to communicate this info to the projectionist to avoid any confusion.

Thanks in advance for any help suggestions... I am going to curl up with some whisky latter and really dive deep into the manual but I thought I would also reach out to the community here and get some sage advice before I try to bite off more than I can chew.
Carsten

Re: n00b - Quick Questions (Mac OS 10.10.5)

Post by Carsten »

There are free OS X drivers for both the 'official' ext2/3 file system, as well as the nearly as compatible NTFS. Both rely on https://osxfuse.github.io .
Quality USB 3.0 drives are okay, but if you send them to cinemas, you should include at least a USB-Y dual plug power-supply cable.

As long as you use separate directories, you can have as many versions of your DCP on a single drive as you want.

Normally, the directory name and CPL title should tell the projectionist enough to select the proper version if you follow DCNC rules (which is supported and encouraged by DCP-o-matic). http://isdcf.com/dcnc/

But it is always advisable to add a projectionist letter with descriptions.

Creating many versions, especially in the space saving OV/VF scheme, needs some work discipline in the creation of the DCPs.

In general, 25fps DCPs only rarely cause problems, basically, only on a first generation Dolby server, of which many now have been replaced or phased out. However, there are still some around, so, if you can create your own DCPs, it may be advisable to create a 24fps version as well. Of course, if you don't mind the small slowdown, you could just restrict yourself to just the 24fps version. Stereo or 5.1 works on all systems technically. Creating a real surround mix is usually too complicated, but it is usually a good idea to have an L/C/R mix with a dedicated center, at least if your work uses a lot of dialogue. Basic stereo tracks with music and dialogue as e.g. In feature films or documentaries can be artificially split into L/C/R using DCP-o-matics Mid/Side decoder. No need to have a stereo AND 5.1 version on the distribution disc.You can have both a real stereo track in a DCP, as well as a 6/5.1 track with only 2 tracks(L/R) actually populated with signal (or L/C/R). No problem technically to have silent channels.

I suggest you read he DCP-o-matic manual, and a nice graphical introduction is at cinepedia.

- Carsten
Terraform

Re: n00b - Quick Questions (Mac OS 10.10.5)

Post by Terraform »

Thanks Carsten
I will read the manual and check out Cinepedia (thanks for that tip! looks super helpful) before I post any follow up questions... You addressed my concerns about whether I should even try this in my Mac OS environment or not and I think it is certainly worth the attempt. I am sure Ill be back with more questions when I am in the thick of it. until then Cheers! - Shawn