Very strange render error - text slide at credits

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
VisitorQ

Very strange render error - text slide at credits

Post by VisitorQ »

Hi,

I just experienced the strangest error:
The whole film was converted perfectly, no problems at all, but the very last slide of the credits at the end a strange error happens:
The slide fades in - then the screen gets all black (it should be white text on black background) - and then after some seconds you see the slide fading out again. But between fade in and fade out it's all black. What the? :)
All other slides from the credit work perfectly. It's just the last one.

As source I used a ProRes 422 HQ file at first, then tried it again with a Cineform file. Both are displaying the last slide correctly. Error happens with both versions.

I must say I really don't understand the logic behind it at all :)

Thanks for any suggestions what I could try.
VisitorQ

Re: Very strange render error - text slide at credits

Post by VisitorQ »

Solved it!

I tried all kinds of tests until the "Optimize still" option at the render settings from Premiere cought my attention - and indeed, this was exactly the problem. If I deactivate it all works without problems. The reason only the last slate was affected was probably, because this slate has the longest duration.

Anyway, I'm happy that I can produce a good DCP now :) Thanks for that awesome tool by the way, I love it
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Where/how do you see that happening, the text disappearing?

- Carsten
VisitorQ

Post by VisitorQ »

Well, I saw it in the Cinema where we tested it and at ffplay.

But, good news, I solved it! :)
I stumpled across the "Optimize Stills" option at the Premiere render menue. And when I deactivated it, the problem wasn't there anymore. Seems like this options leads to such errors. At least I could recreate it.
The reason only the last slide was affected was probably because that slide stood longer then the other ones.

Best, Manuel
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I was suspecting something like that, but didn't think that this feature, even if ticked, would actually be used with ProRes and other ProCodecs as well. There are a few of these optimizations that don't work well with free/independent decoders like FFMPEG. What they do is in this case, they basically store a single still in the frame sequence and create metadata 'repeat for x frames'. It's probably an advanced quicktime feature. So, when creating the DCP, the frame sequence is broken as seen from ffmpeg or DOM.

- Carsten