'Refer to existing DCP' works incorrectly + some suggestions

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
scorpio81

'Refer to existing DCP' works incorrectly + some suggestions

Post by scorpio81 »

Hi Carl.

I'm using the latest test version - 2.11.22. And here it goes.

First, I make an OV DCP - this part is fine.
Second, I import an OV DCP, tick 'Refer to existing DCP' for both audio and video, trim the ending and insert another video and audio files to make a VF DCP with a new ending. And I get VF DCP with one video MXF (which is correct - it's a new ending only) but TWO audio MXFs - an original one trimed to a desired length and a MXF with a new ending.
It happens for both unencrypted and encrypted DCPs. Unticking and ticking again the checkbox doesn't make any difference. But if I do trimming only then a VF DCP correctly doesn't contain any MXFs.
It looks like referencing for audio track isn't working correctly for somewhat reason.

And a few suggestions.
1. Why not to use the same filenames for video and audio files (and the same UUIDs) when importing MXFs from existing DCPs (if their filenames contain UUIDs).
2. It would be great if we could manually assign UUIDs for audio/video assets. So we could make some number of independent DCPs but with common assets to save some space on cinema servers. I.e. 2D and 3D versions with the same set of audio assets.

P.S. Another bug. If a DCP audio channel number isn't equal to that of an imported DCP then 'Refer to existing DCP' should obviously be disabled but it is not.
Aswippe Johnson

Re: 'Refer to existing DCP' works incorrectly + some suggestions

Post by Aswippe Johnson »

Did this procedure ever get worked out? I tried several ways to make short versions of longer DCPs to no avail. Sometimes it wouldn't load, other times it wouldn't even be recognized by the server.
YOU will be ostracised!
scorpio81

Post by scorpio81 »

Yes, I got back to version 2.10.9 - it makes correct VF DCPs both encrypted and unencrypted. But config files from version 2.11.x aren't backward compatible with 2.10.9, so I had to export all certificates from 2.11.x and import them back in 2.10.9 and also recreate theater(s) and hall(s).
scorpio81

Post by scorpio81 »

Let's get this topic up because the VF creation should really be fixed. Until then I'm tied up with version 2.10.9.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Did you already try the most current test version 2.11.29?

http://dcpomatic.com/test-download

- Carsten
scorpio81

Post by scorpio81 »

Not yet. When I'm finished with making current VF DCPs I'll give it a try and then report here.