filmfest movies overlap and cut off

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
davetaylor57

filmfest movies overlap and cut off

Post by davetaylor57 »

I built a DCP for a film festival with multiple movie files. A few of them did not have clean endings in the DCP and overlapped a few seconds with the one following. One of them had the last 30 seconds of the movie cut off and the next one started. All were mp4s or mov, pro res or H264. Any ideas as to why this happened?
Carsten

Re: filmfest movies overlap and cut off

Post by Carsten »

I can only guess you arranged them in that way in DCP-o-matic inadvertently. You should choose timeline view to check the sequencing and overlapping of content. If you still have the project file, reopen it and check timeline view.

- Carsten
phili2p

Re: filmfest movies overlap and cut off

Post by phili2p »

Just a workflow suggestion aside your problem:
I always prefer to create single DCPs from each film and let the cinema create a playlist. One the one hand I can check each film on it's own and - in worst case - only need to replace a single DCP (as some film makers come late or you had an error or whatever). Furthermore, it's possible to add a break between each film (with light or witout, 10 Sec, 15 Sec, 5 Sec, for Q&A... ) , change the order of the films. And the most important argument is to switch between Flat and Scope by macro.
Well, that's just my experience from our short film festival, where I need to have same short films running in different shows and with the playlist we safe a lot of disc space on our servers.

Best wishes
Philipp