DCP-O-Matic = FANTASMIC

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
AdamMannPro

DCP-O-Matic = FANTASMIC

Post by AdamMannPro »

Hi

I am new here but I just wanted to say how GREAT this was. I am a filmmaker and my local "Film Club" made a film (which I was not involved in) but they were having a screening in a small local cinema. They were having issues with burning BluRay's from a ProRes file and it was looking terrible. They tried HDMI, BluRay, USB and they all were having issues.

I had looked into making DCP's before and it was a long task. Enter DCP-O-Matic

I found the software and did a little bit of research and tested it with a small file to get a rough time and file size. Now after doing this I offered to make a DCP for them as a test to see, if it worked they wouldn't have to still be burning BR's minutes before the premier.

I let it run over night from a 35gb ProRes file and it took about 4 hours for a 40min film. copied it onto a Ext2 formatted HDD and got them to test.

IT F***ING worked didn't it. I was praised and mentioned and got a round of applause for saving there day.

Come round to the premier and watching the DCP on the big screen, it looked and worked flawlessly. I cant but thank you guys enough.

It does take a long time and you need a powerful system to chug the data but in the end it was well worth the wait and time.

Now I would love a free DCP player to be able to test the output but that's another story.
Carsten

Re: DCP-O-Matic = FANTASMIC

Post by Carsten »

You can load the DCP you created right into DCP-o-matic again for testing. Or, you may install the current test version that comes with a standalone player. The playback/fps performance is below commercial players utilizing highly efficient/costly J2K code, but it's a work in progress and it still allows to test a DCP on your home machine before you spent the effort to test it in a real cinema.

- Carsten