Christie CP2215: Plays with no picture, no sound

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Carsten

Re: Christie CP2215: Plays with no picture, no sound

Post by Carsten »

Tuxera NTFS is a faster way. However, writing to USB sticks is always slow.

- Carsten
smorgasbord

Post by smorgasbord »

Thanks. Do you know if the GDC SX3000 supports NTFS?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Yes.

Another option would be to use a VM or a bootable Linux (USB Stick). I don't know, however, how fast this will be overall, reading non-native filesystem, or through host OS functions, and writing to a native ext2/3 system.

Tuxera NTFS will write 30MByte/s to an external SSD over FW400 on my old Macbook, 65MByte/s through FW800 on my MacBook Pro, 200MByte/s through USB3.0 on the same machine (timed huge file copy, Tuxera NTFS 2016). I have seen write speeds between 20 and 40MByte/s to some older 'economy', but brand USB 3.0 memory sticks (Kingston, Sandisk). More current USB3.0 sticks are faster. HighSpeed USB sticks are costlier than SSD. Always check WRITE performance, very often only Read performance is quoted.

Tuxera NTFS also allows to format drives to NTFS on the Mac, including MBR partition tables.

There are some small quirks with it - Tuxera 2016 comes with a volume manager that allows to format drives - however, for unknown reasons, this volume manager does not allow to format to NTFS - however, the OS X disc utility will offer to format drives to Tuxera NTFS format if Tuxera is installed ;-) Also, if you boot with external NTFS drives connected, at first (at least in Sierra) the native read-only OS X driver will take over these drives, so they appear to be read-only. Just unmount/eject and remount, then Tuxera NTFS will take over and allow writing. You will also see this in a volume's info dialog or Tuxera system prefs.

I repeat my disclaimer from above, ext2/ext3 is the only official DCP drive format for physical mass storage, but whenever I transport my own DCPs to our machines, I use NTFS. I use ext2/ext3 drives when exporting from our servers, and when sending them to fellow operators. But all of them would be okay with NTFS.

Following the no-drive larger than 2TB - single MBR partition rules is more important than ext2/ext3 by practical means.

- Carsten
Aswippe Johnson

Post by Aswippe Johnson »

FWIW, Doremi isn't a projector, it's a server/IMB.
YOU will be ostracised!
IntMarine

Post by IntMarine »

Regarding slow Mac USB R/W.
Perhaps your computer has a USB 2.0 port. This port is slow compared to a USB 3 port which is 10X faster.

The solution is to get a device that will convert your thunderbolt port to USB 3. Or, upgrade to a motherboard with a USB 3 port.

Regarding ext2/3 and Paragon
In regard to creating a ext2 or ext3 USB device....I have Paragon ExtFS running on my Mac to read and write to an ext2/3/4 drive. But I don't think that there is a way to use Paragon with Disk Utility to create the required 128 node size that is required. The standard created node size on a modern operating system is 256. The DCI/SMPTE/ISO standard is an inode size of 128.

I don't know which servers play fast and loose with that spec – over time many do in order to prevent frustration and black screens. It seems that since the original poster was successful in getting the ingest, that either they had a 128 node size'd drive, or that server just doesn't care anymore.

I end up creating my drives with a VirtualDisk/Ubuntu instance on my MBP – not counting the download time, they are now so simple to install that they take only a few minutes. To check a drive's inode size in Ubuntu, in Terminal run
df -l
(to get the drive name) then
sudo tune2fs -l /dev/sdb1
or the sd number of whatever drive that you are looking at

C J