Encrypted VF Subtitled DCP not playing

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
ydedy

Encrypted VF Subtitled DCP not playing

Post by ydedy »

Hi all,

As the title says, I am running into an issue when creating a subtitled VF encrypted DCP with the SMPTE standard.

tl;dr : I can create and play an encrypted OV version of a movie but if I create an encrypted subtitled -either from SRT or XML subs- VF version of it, my playback server (Doremi/Dolby DCP2000) just freezes and stops the playout.

The equipment I use.
DOM : 2.10.5 on Debian Jessie
Dolby/Doremi DCP2000
Software version : 2.8.16-0
Firmware version : 21.3y

Here's a description of what I am doing in case there is something wrong in the steps.

The creation of the OV version is pretty straightforward, I check the Encrypted option and once the DCP is made I add the DKDM to DOM database. Then I create a KDM for myself so I can use it to create the VF version.

To create a subtitled version, I create a new project, add the previously created OV DCP and KDM to decrypt it. I check the Refer to DCP option for both the audio and video, add my SRT subtitles (change the size, outline etc.), make some changes in the ISDCF name and I also check the Encrypted option. Once the VF version is created, with is quick, I can add the DKDM to DOM database.

The ingest of the DCP (VO and VF and their respective KDM) goes through without any error but when I try to play the subtitled version, the server just freezes for a couple of seconds and just ejects the playlist. No problem at all with the OV DCP.

I feel like since the server has been upgraded, it is way less tolerant to non critical errors in the DCP.

Has anyone already faced and resolved this issue ?
I am going to try to create a VF DCP without checking the "encrypted" option, would it be something I should have done from the beginning ? Maybe the VF version aren't supposed to be independently encrypted. If the official specifications to create DCP were somewhere to be found, I wouldn't be struggling that much...

I can provide the XML of some examples if this can help.

Thanks for your help !
scorpio81

Re: Encrypted VF Subtitled DCP not playing

Post by scorpio81 »

Hi!
Do you create KDM (not DKDM) for your VF? I haven't notice this in your step-by-step description. VF needs its own KDM, different from that of OV.
Does your VF have green icon in Cinelister's content list?