Installing DOM in Ubuntu

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
fredjonze

Installing DOM in Ubuntu

Post by fredjonze »

Hi,

I've been having problems mounting an ext2 CRU drive in Windows 10. Tried Ext2FSD and Paragon ExtFS with lots of problems and slow performance. I have a 4TB Seagate Barracuda and ExtFS just doesn't seem to like GPT. I tried Partition Magic Pro, but the partitions it makes don't seem to be viewable by ExtFS. With a partition created by Partiion Magic, the performance of Ext2fsd was only 30mbps....very slow for the big files I'll be transerring.

So, I decided to try Ubuntu and run DOM from there. And, I know nothing about Ubuntu. So, I have Ubuntu running in try mode. I've formatted the CRU drive as ext2 and have it mounted. Per the DOM instructions, I downloaded DOM. When I double click the .deb it brings up the installer window. I click install and it displays the file size, but nothing happens. So, I click the install button again and I get a persistent icon in the launcher that says "waiting for install". When I google that, what I see is that it is a stuck program icon that I need to clear with a --reset-icons.

If someone can give me a quick boost I'd appreciate it.

Thx,

Jim
fredjonze

Re: Installing DOM in Ubuntu

Post by fredjonze »

Also, I tried to install from the shell with

sudo dpkg -i dcpomatic_2.10.5-1_amd64.deb

It started running, but produced a number of errors after the unpack.

Looks like most of the errors are related to dependencies (libxmlsec1, libboost, etc)

Again, I'm a totally newbie here.

Thx,

Jim
fredjonze

Post by fredjonze »

And, as another addendum, I finally got the 4TB CRU drive formatted by Ubuntu. Since I had troubles installing DOM on Ubuntu, I thought I go back and try to mount/use the Ubuntu formatted drive in Windows. Low and behold, Paragon ExtFS recognized and mounted the drive, And, the performance was substantially better that a smaller drive formatted by Paragon.

Stats:
1. Drive (1TB WD NAS 7200 drive) formatted by Paragon ExtFS write speeds of appx 100mbps
2. Drive (1TB WD on 4TB Barracuda) formatted by Partition Master Pro and mounted by ext2fsd or ExtFS where possible write speeds of appx 30mbps
3. Drive (4TB Barracuda) formatted by Ubuntu and mounted by ExtFS write speeds of appx 150mbps

I still want to get DOM running in Ubuntu to compare to Windows 10, but making content for now.

Opinions, thoughts, feedback appreciated.

Jim
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Quite a few servers do not like GPT partitions or drives larger than 2TB.

Do I remember right you only want to create DCPs for your own server? In that case, you may use the 4TB drive if you test it on your server.

- Carsten
ricardisimo

Post by ricardisimo »

I can't install DCP-O-Matic on my Linux box, only on the Windows side of it. It keeps saying "Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched 'dcpomatic_2.10.5-1_amd64.deb'. Unable to apply some actions, aborting".

This would suggest that I've either misnamed the file in the install command, or that I'm in the wrong directory. Neither is the case, I assure you. I cd to the correct directory, and I drag-and-drop the file into the install command. Alternately, I will simply open the deb file with Software, so the spelling of the filename is moot. Same result.

I'm on Xubuntu 17.10. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.