DKDM / Safeguard config.xml :?:

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Guddu

Re: DKDM / Safeguard config.xml :?:

Post by Guddu »

Carl...No...They are not the same. Reason being that the XML that I am copying gets overwritten. Both cinema.xml and config.xml are getting overwritten upon startup of KDM Tool.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Are you using the same version of DCP-o-matic on both A and B? Is there any message on load about the configuration failing to load? Are both servers running Windows?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Could that be an issue with the WIN7/8/10 vs XP versions, or 32/64Bit?

Nevertheless, I guess DOM shouldn't silently overwrite a pre-existing config and cinemas.xml file? Create a duplicate in the same or other directory, but overwrite?

I still have a few XP machines to verify this if necessary.

Guddu - please report which OS and version (7,8, 32Bit, 64 Bit etc) both machines were running?

At this time, I would also avoid using any of the test releases, although, as long as you only use it for KDM creation, there is less of a risk compared to actually creating DCPs. Still, you need to be absolutely sure you have independent backups of your settings and don't risk them copying/shifting them to working directories/profiles!

- Carsten
Last edited by Carsten on Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

The KDM creator does not warn you when it fails to load config (I've just fixed that in the test version).

At the moment DoM warns you that it could not load the config, copies the old config to config.xml.backup (also the cinemas.xml) then sets up a default config. I'm not sure if this is the best approach.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Oops, nice bug - what about the other app components like player, batch converter, encode server?

Also, I advise to not only backup your config, but also all individuals certs and keys, as the DOM Certificates prefs allow to export (and import) them individually.

The config also contains all the certs and keys, and while it may be possible to extract individual certs/keys from a corrupt or unusable/outdated config file, having certs and keys as individual standard files is a good additional safety measure.

I can only stress this again and again - don't start doing any business with encrypted DCPs if you don't understand all pitfalls, and not before you have mastered all necessary steps towards backup and protection of your essential data. Consider your DOM certs and keys as important as your bank ID and PIN once you actually start using them! A reinstall, a quick update installation, a dead machine/hard disc, a deleted or restored user account, may render all your pre-existing and current encrypted DCPs/DKDMs completely unusable! This is not a DCP-o-matic specific problem, but is the same for all DCP mastering and KDM managing tools in combination with encrypted content.

- Carsten
Last edited by Carsten on Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Guddu

Post by Guddu »

Server A - Windows 10 - 64 Bit - Test Version
Server B - Windows XP - 32 Bit - 2.10.5

KDM Creator silently created the config if it cannot load it. Main DCP-o-Matic program gives an error first

---------------------------
DCP-o-matic
The existing configuration failed to load. Default values will be used instead. These may take a short time to create.
OK

I tried downloading DOM Certificates from A but uploading them on B does not work either. The thumbprint remains the same.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

You need to have the same versions on both machines - install 2.11.x (whatever is on your WIN 10 machine) on your XP machine as well. While Carl is currently working at mach2 cleaning up bugs, you should later on still revert back to the latest release version (2.10.5) if possible if you need to create new DCPs for the time being. For your current KDM/DKDM problem, it should be okay to work with the test version.
Please report back if 2.11.35/36 on your XP machine will read the config and cinema xml from your WIN10 installation.

I guess at least all 2.11.3x versions will read each others config file okay, probably even down to 2.11.2x

- Carsten
Last edited by Carsten on Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guddu

Post by Guddu »

Now A has 2.11.34 and on B i have 2.11.36 (cannot download the 2.11.34 XP Installer anymore)
I copied config and cinema xml over.
Main Window has no errors. Keys show the same thumbprint as i see on A....But unfortunately the Cinema database does not show up...Its all blank.
Guddu

Post by Guddu »

Thanks Carl...I had to fix the config.xml so that it reflects the right path to cinema.xml on the XP Machine. Now I can see the Cinema Database and generate KDMs too.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Yup, paths need to be adjusted, or simply choose to relocate cinema.xml and then point to the actual file in prefs.

It may be that 2.11.36 fixes many things, but still, be careful, as 2.11.x has many changes over 2.10.5 and needs time to mature.
That said, 2.11.36 also fixes some real bugs in 2.10.5

- Carsten