DKDM / Safeguard config.xml :?:

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Guddu

Re: DKDM / Safeguard config.xml :?:

Post by Guddu »

I have used 2.11.34 in this case to generate my final DCP which will release in theatres on 11 Jan 2018 :-)
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I don't know wether you also encoded the DCP with 2.11.34, but at least, 2.11.34 got rid of a major J2C bug, so you may be lucky...

- Carsten
Guddu

Post by Guddu »

Cartsen,

Yes...I encoded using 2.11.34. The J2C bug you mentioned would cause what kind of problems? And at what stage would those manifest?

Will it play in DOM Player but crash on Cinema Projector or something like that?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Guddu wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:37 am Cartsen,

Yes...I encoded using 2.11.34. The J2C bug you mentioned would cause what kind of problems? And at what stage would those manifest?

Will it play in DOM Player but crash on Cinema Projector or something like that?
Yes, no problem in DOM player, but crash during play at least on Barco ICMP and Dolby Servers (quite a few of them around).
But as I said, this bug is confirmed to be solved in 2.11.34.

- Carsten
Guddu

Post by Guddu »

Carsten wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:57 am
Guddu wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:37 am Cartsen,

Yes, no problem in DOM player, but crash during play at least on Barco ICMP and Dolby Servers (quite a few of them around).
But as I said, this bug is confirmed to be solved in 2.11.34.

- Carsten
Scary one though...The DCP I made was used at the censor board (they use Doremi IMB) and they had no issues so all should be fine. Until which version did we have that J2C bug? Also is it on mantis just to have a read? I have never seen or heard of a crash on a cinema projector in midst of a screening thus far. Have you?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

The first time to my knowledge we had a broken J2C. The J2C is using openjpeg library, and the openjpeg team recently added a small optimization that breaks the decoder of some servers.

Read it up here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=965

Testing it successfully on a Doremi and then failing in the field was our worst case scenario ;-)

In most cases, it would probably not have caused a crash mid-show, but simply prevented the show from starting, but in some cases, playback would start, then go into stutter-mode and stop.

That's why we advise not to use test versions for production work.

- Carsten