Modifying existing DCP

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
tba

Modifying existing DCP

Post by tba »

As the Help file is not altogether clear on this issue I wondered if anyone knows how to modify an existing DCP eg changing the audio file for a new one, without having to encode a whole new DCP?
Carsten

Re: Modifying existing DCP

Post by Carsten »

That question is 'too simple to be answered', because there are many ways to achieve that - if you understand the implications of these variants, it is easier to decide which variant to choose. Start here:

http://dcpomatic.com/manual/html/ch05s0 ... 9434291776

and then, for some more details and taking encryption into account:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=932#p3572

- Carsten
tba

Post by tba »

No it's not. If you just add a simple instruction to save us having to experiment it would be nice.

Adding just the jc2....mxf file from the folder and then the updated audio file works for me, if thats ok or not we'll just have to see
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Typical DCPs consist of many reels of j2c and audio - very often without an easy way to even see their proper relation just by their filenames. Also, reels very often contain leaders and tails for sync purposes. These will show up in your DCP. Adding just an MXF doesn't work for encrypted content. So, this is only one way of doing it, but not necessarily the recommended one. If we know better what you are trying to achieve, we can give better answers.
If we recommend one way as being universal, other people will fail trying the same under different conditions.

- Carsten
Miguel Barreda

Post by Miguel Barreda »

Hi,

I created a DCP and then I had to replace the audio. I codified only the audio and then I replaced the audio file in the DCP changing the name of the new file (that means, I copied the name of the old file and pasted it to the new file).

When I tried to check the DCP with DCP-o-matic Player the film didn't load and the message "Needs OV" appeared.

I opened the DCP with another player software and it loaded without any problems and played it with the new soundtrack.

Can I be sure that the DCP will play in any facility?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

No. You created an invalid DCP. The safest way (which is not necessarily the best way) to create a DCP with a different soundtrack/language is to load the existing DCP into DCP-o-matic, add the new soundtrack, disable all audio tracks of the preexisting audio, and create the new DCP.

The common way to add a new soundtrack is to create OV and VF versions, but that implies a bit of a learning curve and has some riscs for unexperienced users.

Professional cinema productions usually take the OV/VF approach, but even they sometimes choose to create full/complete versions for every added language.

I suggest you take the time and read the DCP-o-matic manual. There is no single/unique way to 'add another sountrack'. It all depends on what you start with, and what you expect to end with. DCP-o-matic is flexible enough to do it in many ways, but that implies you define your personal strategy based on what you have and what you want.

- Carsten
Miguel Barreda

Post by Miguel Barreda »

Hi Carsten,

thanks a lot for your response, you saved me! I´m rendering now the new version of my DCP with the changed audio track.