Certification

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Cooller89

Certification

Post by Cooller89 »

Hello! Help is needed!
We are not given DKDM, they say that our certificate, which is made in DoM, is not in the world database of legal stations. And so they don't give us DKDM. What to do?
Cooller89

Re: Certification

Post by Cooller89 »

they also ask for a root certificate.

where to get it?
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

To get the root certificate you can click on "Advanced..." below "Decrypting KDMs" in the preferences, select "Root" in the last, then click "Export certificate..."
We are not given DKDM, they say that our certificate, which is made in DoM, is not in the world database of legal stations. And so they don't give us DKDM. What to do?
Unfortunately there probably is not much you can do. At a guess they don't want to give you a KDM because it gives you the power to do things like exporting unencrypted versions of the KDM's DCPs.
Cooller89

Post by Cooller89 »

carl wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:25 am To get the root certificate you can click on "Advanced..." below "Decrypting KDMs" in the preferences, select "Root" in the last, then click "Export certificate..."
Unfortunately there probably is not much you can do. At a guess they don't want to give you a KDM because it gives you the power to do things like exporting unencrypted versions of the KDM's DCPs.
Can't I add my certificate to the database they are talking about?
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Maybe - I don't know what database they mean, though, so you'd have to ask them I guess.
Cooller89

Post by Cooller89 »

carl wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:09 am Maybe - I don't know what database they mean, though, so you'd have to ask them I guess.
Carl, hi!

They cannot do DKDM for us, they say because their equipment does not accept our certificates. Root certificate doesn't work either. Why can this happen?

Carsten

Post by Carsten »

This is an 'unregulated' aspect of Digital Cinema and it's trust system.

All cinema playback servers are protected by a combination of hard- and software to not expose encrypted assets - distributors trust the server DCI compliance certification and issue KDMs towards them.

For mastering software, if they issue a DKDM towards your DCP-o-matic installation, they expose their assets to an open source mastering software. Basically, that way, they release it into the wild. Some distributors/rights holders have no problem with that. Some do. You will probably receive a DKDM for a small arthouse indie title in order to supply a subtitled version. If Disney, or Warner is your contact, this will never happen. They maintain a database of trusted systems/partners, towards which they issue DKDMs exclusively. DCP-o-matic installations are not part of their trust database.
'Legal stations' is an incorrect term. It's their own internal agreement, there is no legal aspect tied to it.

In this kind of relation between 'you' and 'them', someone offers something, and the other party orders something. There needs to be a negotiation about the conditions of this relation. If they don't like you using open source software, one possible solution for you is to buy one of the few commercial DCP mastering solutions.

It may be that a suitable root certificate solves the issue, but I doubt it. You can not simply give them 'YOUR' root certificate, you would have to apply for a proper intermediate cert from an official registration authority. The root certificate would be that of the registration authority, and the intermediate certificate would be for your company..

- Carsten
Cooller89

Post by Cooller89 »

Carsten wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:37 pm This is an 'unregulated' aspect of Digital Cinema and it's trust system.

All cinema playback servers are protected by a combination of hard- and software to not expose encrypted assets - distributors trust the server DCI compliance certification and issue KDMs towards them.

For mastering software, if they issue a DKDM towards your DCP-o-matic installation, they expose their assets to an open source mastering software. Basically, that way, they release it into the wild. Some distributors/rights holders have no problem with that. Some do. You will probably receive a DKDM for a small arthouse indie title in order to supply a subtitled version. If Disney, or Warner is your contact, this will never happen. They maintain a database of trusted systems/partners, towards which they issue DKDMs exclusively. DCP-o-matic installations are not part of their trust database.
'Legal stations' is an incorrect term. It's their own internal agreement, there is no legal aspect tied to it.

In this kind of relation between 'you' and 'them', someone offers something, and the other party orders something. There needs to be a negotiation about the conditions of this relation. If they don't like you using open source software, one possible solution for you is to buy one of the few commercial DCP mastering solutions.

It may be that a suitable root certificate solves the issue, but I doubt it. You can not simply give them 'YOUR' root certificate, you would have to apply for a proper intermediate cert from an official registration authority. The root certificate would be that of the registration authority, and the intermediate certificate would be for your company..

- Carsten

Thanks for the answer!
Tell me, where can I register my DoM certificate? Is it possible?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certificate_authority

This is nothing DCP or Cinema specific - these certs are universal.

- Carsten