How to view my DCP on a MAC?

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
deanhhamer

How to view my DCP on a MAC?

Post by deanhhamer »

I had a DCP made at a post house and now I'd like to view it on a MAC, so I installed DCP-O-Matic Player. But, my MAC doesn't recognize the DCP disk because its formatted in Linux. So I installed Virtual Box and Ubuntu, and now I can see the USB disk... but of course I can't play it because the DCP Player is on the MAC disk. What's the solution? I know this must be a common issue. I also tried easyDCP player but same issue.
phili2p

Re: How to view my DCP on a MAC?

Post by phili2p »

Did you try to get FUSE for macOS?
You might also either copy the DCP on another drive, install DoM on the linux system or in case you have another computer / NAS running a linux system, it works almost okay via network - depending on your network and the tolerance on dropped frames (downsized window).
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

As far as I know, while FUSE for macOS works in Sierra and High Sierra, fuse-ext2 does not work. For now, I guess the easiest way would be to download/buy Paragon extFS for OS X in order to access ext drives from within OS X. The read performance of extFS may not be very good (I have to test this myself), so, in order to play it, it may be helpful to copy the DCP from the ext2 disc to a local disc.

If you are running Linux in a Virtual machine on the Mac, there should be similar ways to either passthrough the ext2 drive to OS X, or copy the content to a disc immediately readable by OS X. Installing DCP-o-matic within your Linux system, as Philip suggested, may be another option.

I am not a huge fan of that Paragon software, as sometimes it operates flaky, but in this case, it may be the easiest way to go. You can download a 10day trial version to find out wether it fit's your need. You may still try OS X Fuse and fuse-ext first, but, to my knowledge, it won't work right away on recent OS X versions, at least not without a bit of hacking.

Entirely weird that currently there seems to be no working opensource solution to access ext2/3/4 discs for OS X.

- Carsten
Carsten

Post by Carsten »