Slow GUI performance Mac OS

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
BenKingIV

Slow GUI performance Mac OS

Post by BenKingIV »

Hey all

I'm venturing into making DCPs with DOM (instead of plugins for Resolve) and am Finding the interface incredibly and painfully sluggish and lots of hangs whilst adding or deleting or moving content.

After seeing the video tutes I wondered if it's just me or is the Mac version particularly slow?

Making the DCPs is fast enough - it's just building the parts that is taking hours due to the unresponsiveness.

Before you ask what my system is - I'm running:

Mac OS Sierra on Mac Pro 5,1 - 12 Core 3.46GHz, 128GB RAM, 12GB TITAN X Maxwell, SSD OS and Cache, and a whole plethora of SAS/SATA RAID Drives for media storage.

Running Two GUI Monitors - one at UHD 3840x2160p60 and one at 1080x1920p60

On the GUI note - is there any chance you will be adding expandable Content windows instead of having to scroll to see filenames?

Best
Last edited by BenKingIV on Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
~ Mark Twain
carl
Site Admin

Re: Slow GUI performance Mac OS

Post by carl »

Hi,

What content types are you using? Roughly how many separate content files?

The content windows thing is an interesting idea. I've added a note in our bug tracker.

Carl
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I guess the changes over the recent versions did introduce some latencies, in part for updating the content list, and also for the preview. However, I never felt they were too annoying. I could imagine that it adds up for certain workflows, e.g. with some reels, maybe single image sequences, and many mono-for-multitrack audio files. Maybe Ben can supply an explicitly sluggish project metadata file to Carl so he can have a look? Honestly, I don't have an idea how the GUI looks like on a HighRes Monitor.

- Carsten
BenKingIV

Post by BenKingIV »

Hi Carsten

The files are preRendered DCI XYZ colourspace JPEG2000 2K 200Mbps and 5.1 24Bit 48kHz WAV files. With SRT Subtitles.

I also have a set with 4K @ 250Mbps JPEG2000s using the same Audio and Subs - interestingly both are as sluggish as each other. There is no performance gain in the GUI by using the 2K.

Build times are in the minutes though - it's literally just the interface that's chugging.
~ Mark Twain
BenKingIV

Post by BenKingIV »

I can send the project metadata file to Carl - forgive my ignorance but is there an email for him that I've missed?
~ Mark Twain
BenKingIV

Post by BenKingIV »

Here's DOM on a 4K GUI.

Can I make a request if you guys do any GUI updates?

Please give us a lovely Dark Grey GUI option.

On a 40" Monitor the heat coming off fullscreen light GUI and the power usage is frying my face :lol:
Attachments
DOM_on_4K-GUI.png
DOM_on_4K-GUI.png (3.4 MiB) Viewed 6202 times
~ Mark Twain