MKV with two sound - tracks how to choose?

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
saftsuse

MKV with two sound - tracks how to choose?

Post by saftsuse »

Hi,

I tried to make a DCP from Blu ray.
Does Dcp-o-Matic automatically choose the best sound stream? In this case the DTS HD-master track?
The MKV file has 2 tracks, DTS HD-master and regular DTS.
In the audio settings it just says eng DCA ( I was a three letter word, I think it was DCA)

I also tried one MKV file with english HD master, and norwegian DTS tracks.
But I cant figure out how to choose between the tracks.

Regards,
Erik
Carsten

Re: MKV with two sound - tracks how to choose?

Post by Carsten »

DTS-HD uses a 'classic' dts backup track, so, usually when you extract a DTS-HD track, you will always see two multichannels track streams to choose from. While this screenshot does not show a DTS-HD and dts backup track, it looks similiar to what you 'should' see. If not, please post a screen shot.

download/file.php?id=226

Basically, DCP-o-matic will show all streams/tracks found in the source file in the matrix to assign them. You may need to scroll down to find them.

In all versions past 2.11, you can also simply listen to the audio to find out about the language. Just add some nodes in the audio matrix to enable these tracks for listening. For most multitrack formats, channel three of a stream usually carries the dialogue.

- Carsten
saftsuse

Post by saftsuse »

Hi,
This it what I see.
To the left is a MKV with DTS HD-master + DTS track. I can not see which track is the HD-master or the lossy DTS.
To the right is an MKV with trueHD english, and norwegian and french tracks. This is nice, I can see that the first track is Truehd (But I can not see which of the other tracks that are the NO or FR language). I can listen as you said in the other post.

But the problem with the the first DCP to the left is: How to tell if the chosen track is HD-Master or lossy DTS? If I make a DCP it would be nice to have the lossless HD-Master track for better sound quality.

Regards,
Erik
Attachments
testdcp.png
testdcp.png (135.83 KiB) Viewed 6739 times
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I am pretty sure the HD Master is always the first stream under these conditions (HD Master with backup dts). However, your audio matrix display looks broken. Which version of DCP-o-matic is this, and under which OS?

It may not always say TrueHD or dts in the matrix legend, but it sure should look clearer than in your screenshots. Did you compose multiple screenshots into one, or is this really what you see in DCP-o-matic?

- Carsten
saftsuse

Post by saftsuse »

Hi,
I guess it looks broken because I had to make many screenshots and merge to one as one screenshot only covers about 4 to 5 lines in the matrix. Sorry for that messy apperence. I had to use paint to merge the screenshots...
But what you see on the left, content side is what i see. The scrollbar on the right side is of course not divided.

I think it is version 2.10.5, WIN 10 OS.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

The stream indicators are read from the MKV file. It may be that some MKV encoders or features do not have them properly populated. But in general, you should see something like 'eng surround 5.1' to indicate language and type...

Okay, I guess I see what you mean...

Bildschirmfoto 2018-04-09 um 23.49.28.png
Bildschirmfoto 2018-04-09 um 23.49.28.png (25.36 KiB) Viewed 6638 times

The ffprobe log from that project directory says:

...Stream #0:1(deu): Audio: dts (DTS-HD MA), 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), s32p (24 bit) (default)
...Stream #0:2(deu): Audio: dts (DTS), 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 1536 kb/s

Yes, the GUI does not give that indication. So, looking at the ffprobe file after adding the content is a workaround. Maybe Carl can add more info to the audio matrix display, although space is limited there. But as I said, in this typical case with a HD-Master track, the second is always the dts backup track.
DCP-o-matic does not automatically choose the 'best' track, but the first found, I guess. Very often, this actually is the 'best' track on the disc, I guess, but not necessarily.

- Carsten