[SOLVED] file/directory structure for VF on external HDD

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
dctv

[SOLVED] file/directory structure for VF on external HDD

Post by dctv »

I have a VF that I want to put on a hard drive. I've read that you are supposed to put all the DCP files in the root of your external drive, but how do you include the OV then since there are conflicting files in the OV and VF directories? I tried to simply replace the OV metadata with the VF ones, but DCP-o-matic2 player was unable to playback.

note: this may be a double-post, my previous post seems to have been deleted
Last edited by dctv on Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carsten

Re: file/directory structure for VF on external HDD

Post by Carsten »

A SINGLE DCP should/could be placed in the root directory, but DCP-o-matic OV and VFs are actually two separate DCPs - that's why there are two assetmap and Volindex files, and yes, naturally, you can't put two of these DCPs into the same folder or root system.

It's no problem to put each into a subfolder, e.g. using those folders created by DCP-o-matic.

AFAIK, it is not a good idea to put another DCP immediately into the root of that HD then - some servers stop looking into subfolders when they find a working DCP in the root system.

So, either use only ONE DCP in the root system, or put multiple DCPs each into it's own folder. Don't nest subfolders too often, as that may also cause issues on some systems.

- Carsten