Is there a file to click on to open a DCP project?

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Guy Burns

Is there a file to click on to open a DCP project?

Post by Guy Burns »

I've created a DCP as a test, saved the project, but can't find any file that I can double click to open. I can open the project from within DCP.

Doesn't DCP create a single file that contains the project info, like most other software?
Carsten

Re: Is there a file to click on to open a DCP project?

Post by Carsten »

Yes, it does, it is 'metadata.xml' and you can find it within your project directory (e.g. documents/mynewdcp/metadata.xml). However, XML is a generic file type, and it would be bad to assign all XML files to DCP-o-matic. Even if you drop such a file onto DCP-o-matic, it has no method to open that project currently as a passed argument.

Sometimes I miss this option, double-click to open a specific project, too, but in general, I am okay with finding my dcps from the open dialog, or, more often, from the list of recent DCPs.
One could think of reasons to abandon the generic 'metadata.xml' in favor of 'mynewdcp.xml' (same as project folder name), but, doing it that way has a long history. Don't know if Carl ever thought of a different way.

- Carsten
Guy Burns

Post by Guy Burns »

Thanks, Carsten. The metadata.xml file worked when I assigned it to DCP-o-matic.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

You mean, you can now open DCP-o-matic by double-clicking on a metadata.xml file, with that project file opened? I can't get this to work, neither in OS X nor Windows. For me it seems DCP-o-matic has no means to open a project file given as a startup option?

Yes, I can assign metadata.xml files to open DCP-o-matic by doubleclicking, but it just starts the DCP-o-matic app (that's a system function). But the app starts empty, without that metadata.xml file loaded.

- Carsten
Guy Burns

Post by Guy Burns »

No, the xml file doesn't open properly if there are videos inside the project. I was testing a blank project, so when it opened up blank, I thought it was working properly.

I was not intending to open projects via the xml file anyway. I just wanted to know where the Project file was stored.