KDM creator online

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
sharathkannan

KDM creator online

Post by sharathkannan »

is there any way you could create an online kdm creator tool ? or share its code ?
we are trying to create a platform where we could upload a dkdm and select dates and multiple cinemas and send them email in one click ?
Carsten

Re: KDM creator online

Post by Carsten »

Any specific reason why you'd want that to happen online?

There are services like that, but, as they do not only operate servers and software, but also maintain a certificate database, creating KDMs with these tools costs money per KDM.

One example is https://www.dcptools.com/products/kdm-studio/
Another is Qube Wire.

If you have access to the target certificates, you can do the same with DCP-o-matic's free KDM creator.

- Carsten

- Carsten
gunnar

Post by gunnar »

Installing some web system like wordpress for online kdm would be cool but i dont know if there are anything like that.

If you still want online kdm creator:
You could rent virtual computer at amazon and installing on that dcp o matic kdm generator and each time you make a dcp you create dkdm for this cloud virtual machine. Then at least you can always reach your kdm creator online no matter where you are in the world and will never loose the acess of your dkdm keys and dont lock yourself out from your dcp's if your own computer crash.

This cloud virtual machines are not free but are pretty cheap.

See here:
https://aws.amazon.com/workspaces
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I think carl had DCP-o-matic running on a cloud server at some time (but not the KDM generator). I think his hosting service allows it. He would need to personalize access though, to keep DKDMs separate. And there comes the issues - security obligations, keeping DKDMs safe, etc.

If I needed that functionality, I would probably prefer to have my personal machine running and access it through e.g. teamviewer, VNC, etc.

Commercial Online KDM management tools like the one I linked to above usually support a wide certificate database, that makes sense to have it available online, but it simply costs money to maintain that.

- Carsten
gunnar

Post by gunnar »

Carsten wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:58 am I think carl had DCP-o-matic running on a cloud server at some time (but not the KDM generator). I think his hosting service allows it. He would need to personalize access though, to keep DKDMs separate. And there comes the issues - security obligations, keeping DKDMs safe, etc.

If I needed that functionality, I would probably prefer to have my personal machine running and access it through e.g. teamviewer, VNC, etc.

Commercial Online KDM management tools like the one I linked to above usually support a wide certificate database, that makes sense to have it available online, but it simply costs money to maintain that.

- Carsten
Yes that is how i do it now, i have my personal machine running and i can access it anywhere with team viewer to generate KDM keys.
I then also have special dropbox account and the config and cinema xml files are directly synced to that dropbox acount so if i would be somewhere far away from the computer and could not access it i could install the DCP o matic KDM generator to my laptop and import the config and cinema files there from dropbox and create this KDM. But i have never needed to do that B plan yet. I can always reach this computer via team viewer.
But maybe later i will rent a virtual machine from amazon from their cloud and have the KDM generation there. Then i never have to worry about any hardware fail and can just log into my cloud amazon computer anywhere i need.

And i think even if for example DCP o matic team would make some web system like wordpress so anyone who wanted could install his own KDM managment on his website then i think security would always be way much more issue sine all web system (wordpress, joomla and that kind of stuff) can be hacked. If hacker would know somebody had their KDM software installed as web interface on his website then that hacked know where to look.
But about having it on a regular computer cloud or not is harder for hackers since they dont know where to look for that.