How To Create MPEG2 DCP

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
rahmani

How To Create MPEG2 DCP

Post by rahmani »

Hi,
I need to create mpeg dcp for one fest. and old servers.
Would you please introduce a software to create this type of DCP? I have tried OpenDCP but, I have got error message: "Conversion failed"
I appreciate any idea.

Thanks
Solomon
Carsten

Re: How To Create MPEG2 DCP

Post by Carsten »

I guess, for a limited application, it is unreasonable to expect such a major feature to be implemented to support a fundamentally outdated format.

I guess it makes more sense to ask Terrence wether he can supply a version of OpenDCP that still supports MPEG2 wrapping. The industry is currently moving from J2K Interop to J2K SMPTE. That's complicated enough as it turns out.

Aside from that, you still need to supply a properly spec'd MPEG2 transport stream for MXF wrapping. Do you know how to profile that? Do you have any specs? And for the servers in question?

If these systems can not play J2K DCPs, why not skip DCP altogether and instead use common mainstream containers/codecs like Quicktime, MKV, etc.? For that, you need to analyse the specific capabilities of the servers in question. There are a few DCI servers around that are able to play 'consumer type' codecs/containers. But that is limited to specific types of servers.

Another option to check would be the new free Qubemaster Xpress. Maybe it still supports MPEG2 Interop DCPs.

- Carsten
rahmani

Post by rahmani »

Thank you, Carsten,

As usual detailed and useful explanation.
Frankly, I don't know the exact input file spec's for the server. there are different format MXF container and MPEG2 profiles(I don't have access to the server directly just I know it is Qube-01648-11-12 version 2.5.5.14). Maybe this version of OpenDCP does not support MXF MPEG Interop at all?

Unfortunately, QubeMaster Xpress no more support MXF MPEG Interop to make MPEG DCP.

@Terrence: Kindly, let me know how can I proceed? I am using OpenDCP Ver 0.30.0

Any ideas are welcome.

Regard's
Solomon
rahmani

Post by rahmani »

Here is PKL file it might help!
pkl.jpg
pkl.jpg (191.16 KiB) Viewed 8837 times
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

MPEG2 is still on the list of supported features for OpenDCP 0.30. I don't know how picky OpenDCP is about proper input formats.

Do you have an account on the OpenDCP forum? I could ask there...

- Carsten
rahmani

Post by rahmani »

Unfortunately No, it is much appreciated if you do me this favor.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Done. You know that you need to supply video and audio in separate streams? Most MPEG2 sources are interleaved. You need to split them, and also take care to supply the right format. I also asked about special formats needed for a successful wrapping. The wrapping in OpenDCP should be done through asdcplib, so I guess you could find more information about the necessary parameters in older asdcplib documentation. I don't know if the current version still has MPEG2-Interop support built-in. Wrapping with an older asdcplib version could be another option if OpenDCP will not work for you.
You need to understand that for MPEG2-Interop, you need to omit the first JPEG2000 tab and go straight to the MXF tab.

edit: I installed OpenDCP 0.30 on my Mac, and it still offers MPEG2 as a wrapping option under MXF. So, I guess it is still supported. It may just be a steep learning curve to get started.

I don't know what to suggest for MPEG2 creation and splitting - in the past, I have done MPEG2 stuff with MPEGStreamclip. It's outdated, but still works.

http://www.squared5.com

When I get the time, I may actually try this out myself, our two servers still support MPEG2-Interop DCPs, but I never had a need to test it. It is actually hard to find MPEG2-Interop DCPs nowadays.

- Carsten
armin

Post by armin »

Dear Solomon heidari

:)

new equipment(even new Qube Servers) does not support open dcp package
the best for you is to contact with your QUBE support team in your area and ask them to show you the best solution.

Best Regards

Armin

Qube certified engineer