uuid mismath

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
jillmobley

Re: uuid mismath

Post by jillmobley »

Thank you for that info. I will ask him. Second year film school student shot and edited this ad.

I will post tonight's results.
jillmobley

Post by jillmobley »

Frame rate of 30 - SMPTE worked perfectly! Yay!!

Frame rate 24 - Interop yielded the same "exception" error.

I think DCP-o-matic is marvelous.

My mind is kind of blown at the phrase "dcp-o-matic will ***just*** drop every other frame"

Wha????

8-)
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

60 to 24fps is a very bad conversion. If you regularly receive 60fps content, you should try to do something about that. SMPTE at 30fps will work on many projection systems, but not all. Is that content live footage, or animation? If have seen many flash conversions at 60fps.

Carl - on a german forum, someone just mentioned a 50fps source footage for his first DCP-o-matic project as well. I tried to reproduce what he will see as defaults when I does his first DCP after installation - I noticed that when importing 50fps footage, DCP-o-matic will create a 50fps Interop DCP per default. Yes, there is a warning, but maybe at least for Interop, the 'Choose best'/automatic should only allow 24 or 25 fps? Shouldn't we allow all higher frame rates only after checking 'Allow non standard framerates' in advanced prefs? I see very many newcomers creating 50fps or 60fps DCPs... Often they do not even know their source frame rate. Many cameras nowadays default to 50fps or 60fps capture frame rate.

- Carsten
jillmobley

Post by jillmobley »

Thanks to everyone for their help. It is so nice to see this new ad up and running!
I did not know the frame rate of the source material, but now I know how to check. :)

I have asked the young man that produced the content to check into what the framerate was that he shot in. I think I understand from this thread that he would not have altered that in the editing process. Right?

Going forward, I am going to request 24 or 25 fps.

Thank you again for the help. This is a wonderful group and I love dcp-o-matic.

Jill Mobley
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

60fps is problematic, since 30fps is the only usable straight downconversion, and that may not work everywhere. 50->25 can be done easily in dcp-o-matic. If you can get source content in 24 or 25 fps, that would be best, as you do not have to think about the frame rate conversion when creating the DCP.

- Carsten
jillmobley

Post by jillmobley »

Carsten, it is a mixture of shot video and photos.

Jill