Adding a card to an existing DCP

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
jimmy90

Adding a card to an existing DCP

Post by jimmy90 »

Hi all,

I need to add a BBFC card to the start of a DCP I've already made. I've been told there is a way to set it up so that the card is part of a playlist as opposed to having to make a completely new DCP? If so, is someone able to talk through how to do this please?

Thanks,
Carsten

Re: Adding a card to an existing DCP

Post by Carsten »

There are different ways to do this. In general, every cinema is able to assemble show playlists - a sequence of separate DCPs and control cues (Light, Screen, Sound, etc.). The easiest way to add your card is to create a separate short still DCP with that card only, and tell the cinema to add that card to the show playlist ahead of your DCP. So the card is played right ahead of the main dcp and the audience will typically not know wether they were assembled together or separately. You should create the card in the same format (e.g. flat, or scope) as your main feature, so that the transition is invisible.

Yes, you could also create a new DCP containing that card as a fixed item, so that it can't get lost when the cinema operator assembles the show playlist.
That's a bit more work, but still easy enough.

- Carsten
jimmy90

Re: Adding a card to an existing DCP

Post by jimmy90 »

Hi Carsten,

Apologies for the super late response. So by the sounds of things the simplest thing to do is create a separate DCP with the card and send it alongside the DCP of the film. I'm guessing creating a show playlist myself would require a different program all together?

Thanks,

Adam