Encoding video and audio separately

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
GOR4N

Encoding video and audio separately

Post by GOR4N »

Here is an everyday scenario ... I have final color graded picture for some small film and I am waiting for 5.1 mix to be finished and info is that it will be in a 3 days from now.

Is it possible to create DCP-O-Matic project and start encoding video because it will need plenty of working hours and when sound is finished to add it to the same project and rewrap MXF files?
Carsten

Re: Encoding video and audio separately

Post by Carsten »

Hmm, this could work, but not by rewrapping but by using dcp-o-matic's 'intelligent encoding' feature. Usually, the programs checks if subsequent encodings actually use different encoding parameters. If not, it will simply re-link the j2k images already created. I never tried to use this feature with different audio files, though, as I rarely use separate audio.

The process could be to encode without an audio file, or with a dummy audio file. Then later re-open the project, add the final audiofile, and create a new DCP without changing any other parameter, expecially not on the video part.
If it works, dcp-o-matic would simply create the new DCP from the existing video MXF, and the newly created audio MXF.

I'm just trying that, let's see if it works...

Yes, it does. I created a DCP from a short piece of video with an uncorrelated separate 6ch audio track. It took 11min to render. I then deleted the audio, inserted another audio file, stereo, with a different duration, and started another encoding. It rushed through within a few seconds and the result was a new DCP with the second audio file. So I guess it will work the way you intend to use it.

- Carsten
GOR4N

Post by GOR4N »

Nice :)

Just one question ... when You say "delete audio" do You delete generated audio.mxf or ... ?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Sorry for the late reply - no, I leave the generated DCP as it was rendered. I re-open the Project in DCP-o-matic, delete the audio track from the content list and add the new audio-file. The create the DCP. DCP-o-matic will take care of creating the proper files in a new DCP.
Never mess around with the files in the final DCP folder.

- Carsten