SUBTITLES FOR 3D FILMS

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Alex Asp

SUBTITLES FOR 3D FILMS

Post by Alex Asp »

How it is done and what are pitfalls that I need to be aware of?
carl
Site Admin

Re: SUBTITLES FOR 3D FILMS

Post by carl »

DCP-o-matic has nothing particularly clever to offer here; burnt-in subs go on both L and R frames so should end up in the plane of the screen, and non burnt subs are treated like 2D ones. I haven't personally seen a 3D subbed DCP-o-matic DCP on a 3D system; perhaps others can help...
Alex Asp

Post by Alex Asp »

I've just made my first 3D movie in DOM 2.12.3 on Mac OSX High Sierra. The stereo picture looks nice, however the Hebrew (RTL) subtitles looked out of focus-like but in fact were not in the same horizontal position, so they were doubled. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I have burned them into the picture. This is however is a trade-off for the sake of compatibility with different projectors and servers. The project was SMPTE with custom 25 Gb reels. Also there was a slite picture delay of 1-2 frames.

Of course the punctuation marks were in the wrong places (again this is RTL language, and it works normal in 2D), but this being a trial project so I guess I will iron it out eventually.

There is also a feature request (a good idea) to have been possible to move the subtitles on the Z axis,so they would appear in front of the picture.
Any suggestions?
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

The lack of focus and incorrect punctuation are both a little hard to explain... you say the punctuation works ok in 2D?!

Can you clarify what you mean by picture delay? You mean the subtitles are delayed?

I've added subtitle Z-depth to the tracker.
Alex Asp

Post by Alex Asp »

I meant that there was picture and sound were not in sync. I think the difference was by one frame. The source is blue ray files
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

I meant that there was picture and sound were not in sync. I think the difference was by one frame. The source is blue ray files
Is this in a cinema? Do you know if the projection system is in sync at your seating position?
Alex Asp

Post by Alex Asp »

It in Cinema. They don’t have problems with DCP from major studios but sometimes with dvpcvmade by don
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

You can adjust the audio sync in DoM if you need to, though it should not be necessary for a synced source. If you have out-of-sync DCPs I can debug them provided I have the source material (MKV or whatever)... let me know.
Alex Asp

Post by Alex Asp »

Thanks I will be happy to send you the source files.