Could not create VF from an encrypted OV

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
cinema.saudia

Could not create VF from an encrypted OV

Post by cinema.saudia »

Hello everyone,

Newbie here that wants to learn how to create a VF dcp using DCP-o-matic. I'm having a problem creating a VF from an encrypted DCP.

Here's my step in creating OV DCP:
1. Create an OV DCP
2. Click the value 'Encrypted'
3. Standard: SMPTE
4. Jobs > Create DCP
5. Jobs > 'Make DKDM for DCP-o-matic'

Here's my step in creating VF file for my encrypted DCP
1. New File
2. Click 'Add DCP'
3. The encrypted DCP will ask for a KDM so I will right click it select 'Add KDM'
4. I will select the DKDM from the STEP 5 above
5. My next step should be click the 'Use this DCP's video as OV and make VF' in the Video tab and 'Use this DCP's audio as OV and make VF' in the Audio tab but my problem is that these options are disabled. Kindly see this screenshot https://ibb.co/dH8wy9
6. Add Subtitle -> I cannot proceed with this one if I cannot fix the step #5.

-- UPDATE: When I hover my mouse in the 'Use this DCP's video as OV and make VF', there's a message that says 'Cannot reference to this DCP. The video frame size in the film differs from that in the DCP'.

Thanks!
carl
Site Admin

Re: Could not create VF from an encrypted OV

Post by carl »

UPDATE: When I hover my mouse in the 'Use this DCP's video as OV and make VF', there's a message that says 'Cannot reference to this DCP. The video frame size in the film differs from that in the DCP'.
You need to set the container size in the DCP video tab to be the same as your OV (e.g. if the OV is scope, set the container to scope).
cinema.saudia

Post by cinema.saudia »

Thanks, Carl.

Should i encrypt the VF file too?
cinema.saudia

Post by cinema.saudia »

Hi again,

I successfully created the VF for my encrypted OV.

Now, I do have a problem again. The subtitle that I inserted is in .SRT format. When I played it in our Barco DP2k-20c, the Arabic subtitle is not appearing only the punctuation marks. But when I play it in the Preview Pane of the DOM, it works perfectly.

Any advice?

Thank you!
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

You need to supply and choose a font file in DOM that has the necessary glyphs for arabic. You may need to test a suitable font first. DCP-o-matic itself uses a system font renderer for the preview that will almost always have the proper glyphs. If in doubt, burn-in (creates another huge video file). A bit hard to understand at first I guess, but burn-in is WhatYouSeeIsWhatYouGet, and SRT/XML will only show the actual font/success on the DCI projector. SRT is not the problem. It would have happened with XML as well.

I guess, with RTL languages like arabic, I would usually prefer burn-in for subtitling work, as you can verify it better in DCP-o-matic, and you can be sure it is displayed exactly the way you saw it in DCP-o-matic.

You learn something new everyday...

- Carsten
cinema.saudia

Post by cinema.saudia »

Okay.

Thank you very much. Maybe we will just burn-in the subtitle instead of putting it in the supplementary package because we are only supplying movies inside Saudi Arabia.

Big HELP!

KUDOS!
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I guess you should be able to find a suitable arabic font on the system you are working on. Just fire-up a word processor and look at the standard font you use in your native language. Of course, fonts are not always free from copyrights, but there are certainly usable arabic fonts in the public domain, if you want to use them outside of your own domain. Remember, distributing a timed text subtitled DCP means copying and distributing the font file. Not trying to make this a big issue, but, you need to reason about it for a few seconds at least.

I talked to Carl a while ago about wether we should give recommendations about specific fonts to use for subtitling on DCP-o-matic help pages. At the time I was looking for a suitable chinese font, and at first, I ran into the same problems as you. Worse, because I don't understand a single word in chinese ;-)

- Carsten
kartel101

Post by kartel101 »

Hello Guys!

I have made almost the same. I made a VF DCP with new audio and the same Video as the OV, and give new subtitle with the option of burning in. But it does not burns the subtitle into the picture. I would say the reason is for that, that the video must be untouched, as I thicked in the VF version on the Video.

So how could I make the VF DCP with new audio and added new subtitle?

Thank you!

Best regards,
Peter
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

You can not create a burn-in-subtitled VF. Simply don't check the 'use this DCPs video' box. This will create a new video with the subtitles being burnt in. It doesn't make sense to create a VF if the video part needs to be altered.

Yes, techwise it is possible to create new video and reuse an OV audio track, but the space saving is very small typically, so just create a new autonomous DCP.

- Carsten