Analytics

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.

How would you feel if DCP-o-matic started sending anonymised analytics back to dcpomatic.com?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:05 pm

Don't care
67%
A little uneasy
33%
Sharpening my pitchfork
No votes

Total votes: 6

carl
Site Admin

Analytics

Post by carl »

e.g. "a 1h50 minute video was just transcoded into a DCP" or "a conversion of a MP4 file just failed with this error". For the sake of argument, let's say that this is opt-out.
Carsten

Re: Analytics

Post by Carsten »

If it's documented and can be switched off, I'd had no problem with it.

Would be interesting to talk about items that are worth tracking. e.g. how many downloads are actually used, and how often.

I understand, in the current situation, doing things like that is tricky, however, many software developers do it. Maybe offer users something as an incentive? In general, this is 'software improvements through crash analysis', however, I guess in most cases, that's too abstract for todays sensitive users.

- Carsten
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Yes, it's an interesting thing. In the mobile world there's so much analytics going on that you might as well just strap a camera to your forehead, but nobody seems to mind.
scozz76

Post by scozz76 »

opt-out would be a good idea.
Would it be possible to have options for level of reporting? I feel automatic fault reporting would be beneficial to you but you wouldn't want a report every time I ran short test file.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

OK, I'm going to ditch this idea!
bnm14777

Post by bnm14777 »

Supporting such an idea, or allowing self-committed logs when the program has problems is more reasonable. The test version I use often crashes but submitting the log is not very convenient. Finally, the submission is abandoned.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

That might be something worth considering. While it may not allow to have statistics for all installations, it may still give 'some' insight.

That is, submitting a current project file, Config.xml and current log if the user wishes so after a crash, and add some statistics as well.

- Carsten