JPG 2000 encoding

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Julian

JPG 2000 encoding

Post by Julian »

I have doing dcps with other tools since some years, I´d like to know if I load jpg2000 xyz image sequence I could avoid the conversion that dcp o matic makes.
Best
carl
Site Admin

Re: JPG 2000 encoding

Post by carl »

Yes if you import video MXFs or .j2k .j2c .jp2 files the JPEG2000 data will be used as-is.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

BUT - Julian, can you be sure that these other tools will create fully DCI/SMPTE compatible J2K? If not, the server is likely to crash on these files - and then, DCP-o-matic will be blamed, while in fact, it's the external J2K encoder.

- Carsten
Julian

Post by Julian »

Thanks for the reply.
Yes I m sure. I always make the encoding and color transform with color correction software. I used other tools (opne DCP, DCPC) only for mxf and cpl creation and I want to do the same but tryng dcp o matic that looks nice.

best
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

'Color correction software' could mean Resolve - and that is notorious for not creating DCI/SMPTE compliant J2C. Unless you employed the Fraunhofer easyDCP addon.

- Carsten
Julian

Post by Julian »

Hi! Thanks for your help and advice. We don`t use Resolve for creating jpg2000. We use Scratch, and always worked using the dcp tools.
I have read in some post that the color conversion of the resolve is not good.

But for take advantage of all the power of dcp o matic what kind of source material do you recommend for doing the encoding jpg2000 and the color space transform?

best
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

If scratch is doing the proper job - you are fine. Many people consider Resolve being THE color correction tool and therefore also think that the J2K it creates is DCI compliant - but Resolve doesn't even advertise it's J2K export as DCI compliant. It's just 'some' J2K, same as Quicktime supports JPEG2000, but not within DCI constraints.

Now, the latest Resolve 15 just left beta status, and it seems that they implemented their own DCP conversion addon (easyDCP no longer strictly needed). So, it may be that in Resolve 15, the J2K is DCI compliant.

- Carsten