ISDCF naming for MOS

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
phili2p

ISDCF naming for MOS

Post by phili2p »

Hi folks and friends,

I'm creating a DCP for a silent movie at the moment and I wonder what the best way would be. It's a real silent movie with intertitels in English but without any honky tonk piano.

I'd go with

Code: Select all

Title_SHR-1-25_F_MOS-en_20_2K...
in first place or

Title_SHR-1-25_F_XX-XX_20_2K...
Both seem somehow okay to me and might be easy to understand by most of the projectionists.
Still I'd rather go with MOS-en to underline the silent movie. Nevertheless, MOS is not language but sound in general. And by that, both ISDCF titles seem to provide a two channel audio file.

The Appendix 4 of the ISDCF http://isdcf.com/dcnc/home/appendix-4-a ... ation.html also seems to have a standard routine for silent films: either exclude the audio setup complete (might be confusing) or change the _20_ to _20/--_-

In case my informations are not outdated, would it be possible to include an automatic routine when there is no audio detected?

Many greetings
Philipp
phili2p

Re: ISDCF naming for MOS

Post by phili2p »

Checking a DCP from an archive, I found this way of naming:

Title_SHR-1-25_F_XX-XX_MOS_2K_x_...
This DCP was created with the easyDCP-plugin for Resolve. I don't know, if they have a proper naming for silent movies. Maybe someone here has some more experience? Or is involved in the archive naming routine?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I think MOS needs to be there, no question, for a silent movie. For the intertitles/cards, they are usually considered part of the movie, not subtitles, so, they should not need an 'en'. However - if there are different versions, e.g. one with english intertitles, one with german or french, I'd use MOS-en and MOS-fr. I asked the ISDCF people a couple of times for these specialities - and the usual reply is, everything that works is allowed. They don't claim that DCNC covers all aspects of possible titles. The idea is just to give the projectionist a hint which version to choose. Then there is always the option to include a letter with a written description. Well, maybe not always...

Personally, I'd go with MOS-en. The number of (silent) audio channels does not need to be given there, although, it doesn't hurt. I wouldn't know how many projectionists would understand the meaning of MOS instantly. If they'd receive a DCP for standard operations, they would probably ask back 'MOS-en'? Shoudn't there be a german version?'

Resolve 15 has a dialog similar to DCP-o-matic for creating the DCNC name, but there is few to no automatics like in DCP-o-matic. I think previous versions offered only fully manual naming.

- Carsten
Bildschirmfoto 2018-09-08 um 23.37.39.png
Bildschirmfoto 2018-09-08 um 23.37.39.png (105.59 KiB) Viewed 9693 times
phili2p

Post by phili2p »

Carsten, once again thanks a lot for your input - and sorry for my late reply.

I agree with MOS as important and just for my own routine, I used MOS-en. Just to make sure, it's not a version with German intertitles or translated subs.
Also MOS is unusual in most feature films, I have a lot of them in my short film universe. And all those LAS, QBP or QTM... The ISDCF's appendix 1ab for the language codes is a very good friend. And also the Kinofreund naming and name checking tool helps some times: http://static.kinofreund.com/dcnt/#expert

By the way, it would be really great to have the ISDCF/ISO-names as a dropdown list for language and subs.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Good suggestion.

- Carsten
phili2p

Post by phili2p »

Let's see when it will become true...

By the way: in case there are several main languages, how to proceed then? I've seen something like: _FR-DE-LAS-en_ for three dialog languages and English subs. Am I right that the length of the name string might result in a a cut off on the display?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Similar answer - DCNC has not been conceived to cover all possible aspects of a specific composition - it is just meant as an aid to differentiate between different versions of one title - if there are different versions, only the major different aspects of these versions need to be covered, so that the projectionist knows which one to choose. If there is only one version, the most basic solution is the best, as it has the least potential to irritate projectionists.

- Carsten
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

By the way, it would be really great to have the ISDCF/ISO-names as a dropdown list for language and subs.
I spotted this one and added it to Mantis. But I sometimes miss feature requests in the forum... don't be afraid to add them to Mantis yourself :)
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

That said - I'd hate to have to translate these long lists... ;-)

- Carsten
phili2p

Post by phili2p »

Okay, so it's time to use Mantis myself. Still, I think I'd rather have a discussion about pros and cons before it's listed as a feature request at this forum.