How to add png subtitles to a project in 2.13.57

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Alex Asp

How to add png subtitles to a project in 2.13.57

Post by Alex Asp »

What are the requirements to the files?
Carsten

Re: How to add png subtitles to a project in 2.13.57

Post by Carsten »

I think, so far there is no direct way to add PNGs, they can be converted to Timed PNG subs from bitmapped VOB Subs. That is, currently DCP-o-matic has the capability to create e.g. a VF with PNGs from bitmap DVD/Bluray subtitles.

So, if you can convert your PNGs to a VOB file, you could do it with the current version. In theory, it should be possible with a sequence of PNGs and an XML timing file.

- Carsten
Alex Asp

Post by Alex Asp »

Hi Carsten,

This is the new test version (2.13.57)
Actually the change log has the following statement:

New features
Closed captioning.
Bitmapped (PNG timed-text) subtitles.

So naturally I jumped on the wagon and installed it
Created an IOP project plus timed PNG subtitles plus XML file and imported it into i by pressing "Add Folder" button, which brought a dialog asking about FPS setting of subtitles. So far so good. But then DOM imported the subs in one chunk at the end of the video in time line (not under it), and the only thing I could do was to move it to the beginning of the video.
Either I am doing something wrong, or the feature is not matured yet, this is what I am asking. But since all my projects include subtitles I volunteer to test it.
As for VOB subtitles, I have been doing it for years since version 1.x.x. and stopped once timed text has become a working option in version 2. This is a very cumbersome and time consuming procedure.which should be not recommended
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

That's what I expected, DCP-o-matic took the PNGs as an image sequence, not as timed-text PNGs. That functionality is not working, so far, these bitmap subtitles can only be added in VOB format. The idea so far is to have an option to create a subtitled VF with bitmap subtitles, instead of having to burn-in.

- Carsten
Alex Asp

Post by Alex Asp »

The idea may be noble but I am sorry to say its impractical and too cumbersome. I've done that for years in version 1 (and burned subtitles). It was too complicated and time-consuming.

I can't estimate the complexity of fully implementing this feature and its time-frame, but maybe be the interim solution would be creating a simple app with minimal GUI just to mux timed png subtitles into VOB (MT2S) stream, which can then be imported into a DOM project to create a DCP with png subtitles.

I can't imagine a scenario in which I import an existing DCP with png subtitles to create a subtitled VF version of a movie.

The main purpose' in my opinion, of a png subtitled DCP is to have a full control of how the subtitles are displayed, including fonts, diacritics, spacing, kerning and other typographical features especially for complicated writing systems, and not to rely for these features on projector implementations of lack thereof.

Alex
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I am sure it is not too complicated, since, creating timed PNGs is there, there 'just' needs to be some sort of an interface to add them separately.

- Carsten