"Use this DCP's video" greyed out with "its video frame size differs from the film's"

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
sup

"Use this DCP's video" greyed out with "its video frame size differs from the film's"

Post by sup »

I am using version 2.13.57 of DCM. I just imported a DCP and I would like to add subtitles to it without reencoding. I am getting a "Cannot reference this DCP: its video frame size differs from the film's".

The original DCP has container set to "Flat" (1998 × 1080), however, the image itself is FullHD, i.e. 1920x1080. Is that the cause of the problem? Can it be corrected somehow? I have a valid DCP (that is played in cinemas) that I need to add subtitles to. Is that a wrongly made DCP? Can I somehow fix this?
Carsten

Re: "Use this DCP's video" greyed out with "its video frame size differs from the film's"

Post by Carsten »

It should work if you set the new subtitled DCP/VF to 'flat' as well. It is probably currently set to another container size.

At one point we were discussing the option to adjust the current (in this case, VF) DCP settings automatically to the referenced DCP. This can be handy, but also cause potential issues. Currently, you need to match these parameters yourself.

BTW - you may not need to create a VF, so, skip 'referencing' the original DCP - you can simply load the original DCP, set the new DCP to the same parameters (container, resolution, frame rate, audio channels), then add the timed text subtitles. The new DCP will be self-contained, but created without reencoding.

- Carsten
sup

Re: "Use this DCP's video" greyed out with "its video frame size differs from the film's"

Post by sup »

I think I am already setting the new DCP to flat already: Image
Here is the film settings: Image

Or am I missing something basic?

Actually, I would like to keep existing subtitles at the DCP, I just need to add one track, so I would like to avoid duplicating the video data.

As there is already one VF DCP just with subtitles on the harddrive, it should be fairly easy to copy that, replacing the original subtitles with a new file and then slightly adjusting it - or is there a catch?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I am not sure if I can follow your procedure. Building complex OV/VF combinations will probably fail.

Keep in mind - you can only build a single OV->VF cascade. That means, you can build many VFs based on the same OV, but you can not build an OV->VF1->VF2 cascade.

I feel it might be better if you'd create a new self contrained DCP/OV. That is possible without re-encoding. Yes, you need the disc space for a full DCP, but the final DCP then works without references and has a clean file structure.

- Carsten
sup

Post by sup »

That was mistake on my part. Now I realize I only need to add the OV from the DCP I got and add the subtitles that I have, like this:
That is the recomended way according to the manual sections 16.1.1 and 5.3.2

However, it does not let me use the video because it has a resolution of 1920x1080 and DOM wants to convert the video to 1998x1080- i.e. size of the Flat DCI container.

So making a VF with orginal video sizes other than 1998x1080 (flat), 2048 × 858 (scope) or 2048 × 1080 (full) is impossible even if the video comes from a valid functioning DCP?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Are you sure the original video is 1920/1080 pixel containersize, not 1920/1080 padded to 1998/1080?

The F-178 SHOULD express a flat container with 1920/1080 active pixels, but maybe it is actually a 1080p container. We got rid of non flat/scope/full containers in DOMa while ago, but Carl added them back as an advanced option in 2.13.x. I am not too happy with that, but as we see, it can be helpful in some special cases. For new DCPs, please only use flat or scope, or full container for test DCPs only.

If you absolutely want to create an OV/VF combo, then try the current test release. Admittedly, if the source is in fact a 1920/1080 container, then 2.12 won't let you create a new DCP without re-encoding, as it only supports 1998/1080, which is a different bitmap raster and forces reencoding.

- Carsten
Last edited by Carsten on Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sup

Post by sup »

Carsten wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:22 pm Are you sure the original video is 1920/1080 pixel containersize, not 1920/1080 padded to 1998/1080?
How would I check? ffmpeg -i tihnks so:

Code: Select all

Stream #0:0: Video: jpeg2000 (JPEG 2000 digital cinema 2K), xyz12le(progressive), 1920x1080, SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9, 24 tbr, 24 tbn, 24 tbc
In the xml inside of the original DCP, it says

Code: Select all

<ScreenAspectRatio>1.78</ScreenAspectRatio>
The F-178 SHOULD express a flat container with 1920/1080 active pixels, but maybe it is actually a 1080p container. We got rid of flat/scope/full containers in DOMa while ago, but Carl added them back as an advanced option in 2.13.x. I a, not too happy with that, but as we see, it can be helpful in some special cases. For new DCPs, please only use flat or scope, or full container for test DCPs only.

If you absolutely want to create an OV/VF combo, then try the current test release. Admittedly, if the source is in fact a 1920/1080 container, then 2.12 won't let you create a new DCP without re-encoding, as it only supports 1998/1080, which is a different bitmap raster and forces reencoding.
To tell the truth, I do not quite follow. I first tried with 2.12 but I then installed the latest versoin from September 28 2018 (2.13.57). No matter what container I set, DOM still tells me that "video frame size differs from the film's". DCI Flat says it is 1998x1080, so 2.12 does not seem more capable than 2.13.57 - or am I missing something?

In the new DCP I created (that is OV) created by DOM, ScreenAspectRatio is 1.85, so that is differnet from the iriginal DCP. DOM does not let me use ScreenAspectRatio 1.78, even if I set that at "Scale to" option in "video tab" in "Content" tab. So ,if I understand it correctly, DOM does not do what you are saying it is supposed to be capable of doing?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

You need to install 2.13.57, go to advanced prefs, and enable non-standard container sizes. Then you can set the DCP container to 16:9/1.78 under the DCP tab. Without adjusting that in advanced prefs, only flat, scope and full is possible.That should solve that issue.

- Carsten
sup

Post by sup »

Thanks that was it. I looked into preferences, but only in 2.12 version. Thanks for the assistence