How to 7.1 and 5.1 in the very same DCP?

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Jose Luis Diaz

How to 7.1 and 5.1 in the very same DCP?

Post by Jose Luis Diaz »

Hi.
First message here.
I'm a Supervisor Sound Editor.
An Authoring DCP House recently wrote me "We can't insert a 7.1 and 5.1 sound mix into a DCP. You must to choose one of those format".
Why?
I know that there is not doble inventory in the case of ATMOS, 7.1 and 5.1 films. All those formats are into the same DCP.
I'm wrong?
How to put a 7.1 and 5.1 mix formats into the same DCP?
Thanks.

Jose Luis Diaz
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0246623/?ref_=rvi_nm
Carsten

Re: How to 7.1 and 5.1 in the very same DCP?

Post by Carsten »

The trouble here is that DCP can mean different things. A single feature (version) is more accurately called by it's CPL - Composition Playlist. A single CPL currently can only contain either 5.1 or 7.1 sound. So, if a DCP contains 5.1 AND 7.1 sound, it is a multi-CPL package. Typically, this is done by creating a self contained 5.1 OV, plus a supplemental 7.1 VF (version file), containing only the 7.1 audio mix. You may ask 'Why don't they just add the two additional rear audio channels to the 5.1 mix and change the routing when playing it in 7.1'? Purely technically, that is possible, but in reality, no one does it that way (and for good reasons). The new SMPTE DCP has some provision for real single inventory, but as far as I see it, this functionality will not be used for a long time, as it would cause too much errors in worldwide installed systems.

ATMOS is a special case, because the ATMOS data is aux data, and the CPL/DCP carries a full 5.1 or 7.1 fall back audio mix. Non ATMOS capable servers can simpy ignore the ATMOS aux data and play just the standard 5.1 or 7.1 mix.

Long story short - if you supply a 7.1 version, you must also supply a separate 5.1 version. Either can be an OV or VF.

They can be contained in the same DCP, or packaged separately (as DCP-o-matic currently does it). Wether it's 'in the same DCP' or not, is a matter of the packaging. You could put two versions of a movie on the same Bluray disc, or onto two separate discs. You could put both discs into a single disc case, or in two separate disc cases.

- Carsten