Length of time in creating a DCP

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
taigou

Length of time in creating a DCP

Post by taigou »

Good afternoon. I am rather new to using this software. I am a volunteer at a local theater, and create onscreen ad reels using DCP-o-matic for their creation.
When I click on JOBS and take the MAKE A DCP option, sometimes the job takes 24 minutes and sometimes it takes 4 hours to encode the movie file. I don't include audio, it's just a WMV file no bigger the 3MB.
Any thoughts? Thank you.
carl
Site Admin

Re: Length of time in creating a DCP

Post by carl »

Hi,
If you can send me a WMV file that takes 4 hours to encode I can investigate. carl@dcpomatic.com
Kind regards,
Carl
Carsten

Re: Length of time in creating a DCP

Post by Carsten »

I assume your DCPs are only a few seconds to a few minutes long. What CPU does that PC utilize?
For general preshow, you should probably keep all your DCP parameters at common preshow standards, like flat 2k, 24/25/30 fps (depending on your source material, 24fps always preferred), 2ch audio.

The only reasons for exceptionally long encoding times could be

- issues with your source material (a codec that DCP-o-matic has trouble with)
- an extremely slow or outdated machine, maybe a malfunctioning hard disc
- your machine getting into swapping. The latter can easily happen if your machine has not enough RAM and/or you have configured too many parallel encoding threads, and especially if for some reason you are creating 4k DCPs. For typical machines, DCP-o-matic's default settings do not need to be touched. Maybe you should reset your preferences to the defaults and try again.

- Carsten