slow performance and only 3 sound channels

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
createmedia

Re: slow performance and only 3 sound channels

Post by createmedia »

Hi

I just thought I ought to confirm what others had been saying that if I set the DCP player window size to roughly one quarter screen and set the resolution to be the same as the display I get on 2K DCI Flat project no frames dropped.

Yesterday for the purposes of using VMix with SKYPE I put on NewTek NDI tools that has completely stopped digitall DCP player from working it won't now play anything and I have reinstalled it.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I think that's a promising confirmation, as I think it should be easy for Carl to find window settings (or adjust the display routine) that allow best playback performance. As I mentioned in the other thread, an option 'set display size to decoding resolution'. Or, when manually resizing the playback window, 'snap' towards the best possible values.

- Carsten
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

---
createmedia

Post by createmedia »

My video club vice chair is on an iMac and his player won't work at all but I think his screen is a 5K one so as the size makes a difference his high pixel count may give it a headache.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

If it opens 'full screen' in 5k, yes, very likely. There may be something wrong with the video scaling in player. J2C decoding is the dominant performance factor, but maybe there are other issues not immediately evident. I understand that e.g. windows has hundreds of different ways/APIs/libraries to send images to screen, then there is scaling, color/gamma conversion, etc. There may be a bottleneck within some of these.

- Carsten
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Player 2.13.81 on the Mac shows improved performance. Some of the playhead anomalies seen in 2.13.72 are gone as well (not all, though). Sometimes after cueing to some position, the frame/time display does no longer update when playing, or when doing frame advance/backwards with the keyboard. Nothing serious.

The playback performance on my 4core/HT Macbook is very good now. It plays solid at half decoding resolution with 0 dropped frames, at around 1300/540 (windowed) active pixel resolution. It also plays without dropped frames in full screen (approx 1440/600 full screen active pixel area), although sync can be off considerably at half decoding resolution. But, given that this is a middle-class notebook from 2013, or at least 2013 CPU technology, it's not bad.

- Carsten