Encrypted SMPTE DCPs for Sony MB

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
carl
Site Admin

Re: Encrypted SMPTE DCPs for Sony MB

Post by carl »

Thanks. Can you remind me of another thing: are we talking only about encrypted SMPTE not playing?

Was there a (related?) thing were verification would fail for signed SMPTE (not necessarily encrypted)?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

It fails for both encrypted and unencrypted content. While missing verification does not hinder the Sony to play these DCPs per se, it appears that playing encrypted DCPs fails because of the failed verification.

Initially, we were after the issue of KDMs not working for encrypted SMPTE content. So, at first we thought the KDM formulation was the problem. When we tried to generate KDMs for these DCPs with other tools, and these KDMs failed as well, we suspected that not the KDMs, but the missing verification is the issue.

So, unencrypted SMPTE DCPs do not verify, but play. Encrypted DCPs do not verify, and do not play.

I need to look it up in our email conversation, but, I think an earlier version of the Sony software complained about a 'unsupported signing method' in the logs. Later versions of the Sony software encrypt the logs and I have no access to them anymore (shame on you Sony!).

- Carsten
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

And unsigned DCPs "verify" ok?
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

It''s been a while, but do you remember if you tested the _2 DCPs from here:

https://dcpomatic.com/carsten/

(i.e. dom_2.zip, cinemslides_2.zip and opendcp_2.zip) ? Could I get the results of those?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I think I can't do unsigned SMPTEs in DCP-o-matic?

I think I tested these two, but will do again.

- Carsten
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

I think SMPTE non-signed should be possible...

(That startup assertion failure should be fixed in 2.13.99)
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Alright, somehow I remembered that signing checkbox was greyed out for SMPTE, but it is for encrypted. Just checked a test DCP done with 2.13.98 - no difference between signed and unsigned SMPTE. I think the signature is an essential part of the verification. If not all.

Here are the results for all the Test-DCPs in the above folder:

Cinemaslides_1 – OK
Cinemaslides_2-OK
Dom1 – NG
Dom2- NG
Opendcp2-OK

;-(

BTW - these are not the only content without successful verification on our Sony - there are e.g. two current commercial trailers supplied by ARRI in IOP, done with colorfront, and they wouldn't verify as well. There is also a (low profile) ad done with FinalDCP in SMPTE which doesn't verify. 'Of course', we never received an encrypted commercial SMPTE DCP which wouldn't verify, they probably catch that ahead.

However, compared to recent years, most content I see on our Sony now is verified okay. But we still get very few SMPTE DCPs.
For a while it appeared as if the verification is only applied or successful for SMPTE, not Interop, because, a few years ago literally no content was shown as verified ok. Now I also see most commercial Interop content being verified ok, but, I don't know how much of that is because the mastering tools solved it, or the Sony software updates.

The difference is, encrypted Interop content will play, even when not verified, but encrypted SMPTE will not.

- Carsten
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Thanks Carsten.

Those DoM/OpenDCP DCPs have the same assets and the same signing certificate chain, so I think it has to be something in the way I'm doing the signing.

2.13.99 will be up shortly with one speculative fix (to remove a difference between OpenDCP's code and DoM's code). Could you try that? Or let me know if you'd rather I made a DCP.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

2.13.99 is up, so I can give it a try now, our system is currently running.

edit: no success with 2.13.99 WIN64 I made sure to recreate signing certificates again before the test after updating to 2.13.99.

Damned. I need to find ways to step onto someones foot at Sony UK...

- Carsten

Just to make sure I am not doing something stupid - could you make a test DCP as well?
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »