Encrypted SMPTE DCPs for Sony MB

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Carsten

Re: Encrypted SMPTE DCPs for Sony MB

Post by Carsten »

Okay, another interesting issue pointing into the same direction:

This issue came up originally because prior-to-1.54 Sony software versions wouldn't play encrypted SMPTE DCPs created with DCP-o-matic. The reason now seems to be that SMPTE DCP verification fails due to some minor formatting issue with the metadata files DCP-o-matic creates. This appears to be a bug in the Sony software prior to 1.54, not DCP-o-matic.

As it turns out, the same formatting/indentation issue also prevents successful verification of Interop DCPs. Previously, I have never seen any Interop DCPs being verified on our Sony. I always thought that the Sony was so SMPTE centric, that verification was strictly SMPTE. However, when I create an Interop DCP with 2.13.109 now, it is also verified OK. Other than with SMPTE DCPs, failure to verify never caused issues, neither for encrypted nor unencrypted Interop Files.

The first DCP in this screenshot has been created with 2.12.15, the second with 2.13.109, both as Interop.
Bildschirmfoto 2019-01-26 um 20.34.57.jpg
- Carsten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carsten

Re: Encrypted SMPTE DCPs for Sony MB

Post by Carsten »

It may be interesting to check 2.13.109 SMPTE DCPs on the older Sony 320 systems. There are many of them in operation, but these will most likely never receive any more software updates. As far as I know, these older systems have the same problem with unindented SMPTE DCP metadata files from DCP-o-matic <2.13.108. So, while Sony solved the issue for the SRX-R5xx/8xx systems on current software, a fix in DCP-o-matic still has benefits for older Sony SRX-R320/LMT300 systems.

- Carsten