How - Audio / Video separate DCP's

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Terraform

How - Audio / Video separate DCP's

Post by Terraform »

Hey there,
So I wanted to try Resolve's new codec for DCP export and I thought it worked fine however my 5.1 audio was messed up and audio was only coming out of the center channel, So then I decided to use my ProRes 8ch master and map the 5.1 audio using DCP-o-Matic and the audio came out great HOWEVER the video was not nearly as nice as the video that came out of Resolve.

So now I am currently exporting (through DCP-o-Matic) the video file from my Resolve DCP and the Audio from my DCP-o-Matic DCP.
it seems to sync when looking at it through your player and it doesn't throw any errors at all.

Will DCP re-encode the Resolve video or will it just repackage the DCP.
And either way (as I am winging it here) is there a better way to achieve what I am attempting here.
I am of course under a tight deadline.

OH and btw the reason I am not simply exporting jpeg2000's or something from Resolve and attaching the Audio is because this ProRes master has the audio perfectly timed to the video and I don't have another perfectly trimmed / timed audio source and I can't figure out how to best export a audio only 5.1 from my ProRes file... (if that makes any sense)
carl
Site Admin

Re: How - Audio / Video separate DCP's

Post by carl »

DCP will not re-encode the resolve video so long as you don't change things like crop.

Out of interest, what was so bad about the video made through DCP-o-matic?
Carsten

Re: How - Audio / Video separate DCP's

Post by Carsten »

It's not so easy to set up multichannel audio in Resolve. That said, if you manage to get multichannel audio from Resolve into a Prores file, it should work for a DCP just as well. In general, it is perfectly feasible to encode a basic DCP in Resolve and add more advanced features later in DCP-o-matic. I am sure more and more people will use this approach, as the questions of encoding time and suitable intermediate codec needs to be addressed when doing the encode of Resolve projects in DCP-o-matic.

- Carsten