Playing DCP made in open DCP

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
compadrese

Playing DCP made in open DCP

Post by compadrese »

I am a fresh user of DCP-o-matic and have some questions that may seem stupid to you veterans, but I will get smarter using the program and being educated by you fellows. So please forgive my innocence. I have formerly made DCP:s in Open DCP of my future length documentaries and they have played fine in cinemas over the festival world. Now I am trying to play these DCP:s in DCP-o-matic and get the error message "Could not open film at /Volumes/DCPNHTWO/NationenBio_T:DCP/metadata.xml does not exist." The DCP bin I am trying to open contains only six files and as I said above, works fine in all the cinemas where it has been projected. Now, the first test DCP I made myself in DCP-o-matic contains a LOT more files in several bins, and as separate documents.This DCP plays just fine in DCP-o-matic. I have attached screenshots of the content of the respective DCP:s. So then this is not only the question of why the old, working DCP does not play in DCP-o-matic but also a question of what content should be copied from all the files created when I made the new DCP in DCP-o-matic. There is a bin that contains EXACTLY the same type and number of files as the ones used in the old DCP ( that does not play in DCP-o-matic but plays in cinemas). See the comparison in content in attachment 3. If I separat this bin from the newly made DCP and try to play it in DCP-o-matic it fails and gives the same error message as when I try to play the old DCP.
So what's the trick?

All the best
Mikael Wiström
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
carl
Site Admin

Re: Playing DCP made in open DCP

Post by carl »

Hi,

Your top 3 screenshots are DCPs, and your bottom one is a DCP-o-matic project.

To play your DCPs, either:
  • load them into the DCP-o-matic Player, or
  • create a new project (File -> New) in DCP-o-matic, then click the "Add DCP" button and specify your DCP folder.
Let us know if you have problems.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

In other words - the 'File'-> 'Open' Menu is not meant to load DCPs with DCP-o-matic, but to load a DCP-o-matic project file. That command expects to find a metadata.xml file, hence the error you see when you point the file open dialog to a DCP directory - a DCP directory simply doesn't contain a metadata.xml project file.

Look here:

https://dcpomatic.com/manual/html/ch13.html

The 'File' - 'Open' Menu in DCP-o-matic PLAYER will expect a DCP directory, and that should be your preferred way to open and play old and new DCPs. It will not open a DCP-o-matic metadata.xml project file or a project directory, though...

- Carsten
compadrese

Post by compadrese »

Thanks for the very pedagogical answer. I had already figured out that I had not downloaded the player , thinking that the player was integrated in the main program. Now I am also better informed.

Best
Mikael