DCP in 16 fps

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Candice

DCP in 16 fps

Post by Candice »

Hello,

I have to make DCP from several movies that are at 16 Fps. Do you know how I can do?
I'm looking for but I can not find...

Thank you,

C.
phili2p

Re: DCP in 16 fps

Post by phili2p »

Hi C.,

First of all, you should not create a DCP with 16 FPS as this is not a specified by the DCI - unless you're doing it for research and in a very controlled surrounding like working on your own cinema server.

Use any video editor and export a proper frame rate version. At this step you're able to check the best result. 30 FPS is quite okay nowadays.

Otherwise, it is possible to let DCP-o-matic create DCPs with non-specified framrates. Check your preference menu (advanced settings)
But very important: Do not expect to have your DCP to work as expected. Check the DCP in each and every cinema before any screening.

Best
Philipp
Carsten

Re: DCP in 16 fps

Post by Carsten »

Yup - 16,18,20 and 22 fps are supported in DCP as of SMPTE ST 428-21:2011 - but they should be regarded as archival frame rates, and you should not expect standard cinema projectors to be able to play them (properly). As far as I know, so far no study has been done on existing equipments capability to play these frame rates. I would assume that some/most software DCP players should support them

Depending on what you want to do with these DCPs, I would probably create a DCP with the original/intended frame rate, and maybe another one with a compliant rate that can actually be played back - 30fps SMPTE, as Philipp suggested. DCP-o-matic will support both frame rates.

@Philipp: What about getting some sleep now?

- Carsten