DCP compliant delivery drive

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
grafficAV

DCP compliant delivery drive

Post by grafficAV »

I'm new to DCP delivery as we just found out the theater we are using only takes ext2 file system drives for ingestion into their projectors. Does DCP-o-matic create an ext2 file system on the destination drive? I hate to pop out of nowhere and ask for an urgent response but we are having a showing tomorrow (Saturday) and need to render today. We are covering our bases and using a Mac program also that does encode to ext2 but would like to render on my much more powerful Windows machine. Thanks in advance for any enlightenment you can provide.

PLEASE DISREGARD- In my haste, I missed the topic on Delivery drives right at the top of the forum.
phili2p

Re: DCP compliant delivery drive

Post by phili2p »

While you asked for urgent help for the ext2 file system, I can really recoomend to read Knut Erik Everson's articel:
http://www.knuterikevensen.com/?p=437
The important part is to find below the headline: "The physical medium specification for DCPs".

Good luck!
Philipp
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

If time is short and you have some money I would suggest DCP Transfer. You could encode the DCP on a PC, then copy it to the Mac to use DCP Transfer if your PC quicker.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

If time is short and encoding on a windows machine, using NTFS is the best choice. However, many people seem to think that NTFS is then the only important parameter. Then they experience the drive is not recognized on the server, and believe NTFS was the fault.

You also need to follow the single MBR partition rule, and no drives larger than 2TB. Many drives now come preformated with a GPT/GUID partition, or, the first uneducated format on a windows system will put a GPT/GUID partition scheme on it.
And it's not so easy to get rid of it in windows in order to have an MBR table on it. Most tutorials deal with converting MBR into GPT, not the other way round.

Here is a range of methods, using ordinary system tools, or third party software:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/857 ... -10-a.html

- Carsten