Blackmagic eGPU

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
skiff

Blackmagic eGPU

Post by skiff »

Hi,
Someone knows if DCP-o-matic can use Blackmagic eGPU?
Can I render the picture on the external eGPU?
Best,
Skiff
Carsten

Re: Blackmagic eGPU

Post by Carsten »

No. An eGPU may be used to display the playback window of DCP-o-matic player. But it doesn't encode DCPs/J2K, if that is what you mean with 'render'.

- Carsten
skiff

Post by skiff »

Thank you Carsten
There is way to improve the time of encoding DCPs j2k on MacBook Pro?
Maybe external eGPU or to make the j2k in different ways?
Best
Skiff
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

You can use external remote encoding servers, that is, networked machines running the DCP-o-matic encoding server application. Encoding benefits from many cores (4,6,8,12...) and multiple CPUs. However, that is expensive using genuine Apple machines (e.g. Mac Pro). It is, however, possible to use windows or linux based common PC hardware (also second hand), even if your master application is running on OS X.

The current 'benchmark leader' for e.g. the Sintel benchmark is a dual system using two rather old second hand Xeon workstations, that can be bought from ebay for very little money (e.g. from 300€ up). So, even a system 10 years old can be used efficiently, if it has many CPUs/cores/threads.

https://dcpomatic.com/benchmarks/input.php?id=1

Another option, as you mention Black Magic Design, is to create the DCP in Resolve. In Resolve 15.x, there is a DCP export module using the fast Kakadu encoder. As far as I know, this currently does not benefit from eGPU acceleration, but it may at some time later.
You can then import that 'simple' DCP into DCP-o-matic for more advanced processing without re-encoding.

- Carsten
skiff

Post by skiff »

Dear Carsten, thank you for your answer!

Another question:
There are different between the MXF in SMPTE and Interop?

If I got OV on Interop, can I make new DCP from the MXF without transcoding in SMPTE?
So to change only the XML file.

Best,
Skiff
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

There are differences between Interop and SMPTE MXF, but not within the J2K core stream. That is, you may convert between Interop and SMPTE with DCP-o-matic, and no re-encoding is necessary. It is not allowed and not possible to create a mixed Interop/SMPTE OV/VF combo.

- Carsten