Batch converter and encoding server om the same machine

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Alex Asp

Batch converter and encoding server om the same machine

Post by Alex Asp »

Can they be run simultaneously and is there any benefit in doing that?
Seems to work nicely. MAC OS X 10.14.4 Early 2010 MacPro.
Carsten

Re: Batch converter and encoding server om the same machine

Post by Carsten »

Yes, no problem with that. You may want to balance the number of encoding threads between batch converter and local encode server in prefs.

What are you trying to accomplish by running both batch converter and encode server on the same machine?

- Carsten
Last edited by Carsten on Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Asp

Post by Alex Asp »

Actually I wasn't trying to achieve anything. It was a new installation on the MacPro, andas you know the first run of anything on the Mac can be very annoying. Apple checks if the developer is registered and if not, it checks for the malicious code, so it could take a long time.
In any case encoding server was already running in the background when I hit encode in Batch Processor and got an unusual speed bump.
Then I found that the encoding server was already churning away on the same machine, which cut usual processing time in half, up to 17 FPS.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

There was a time when running a local encode server was the only way to really saturate CPUs with many cores/threads. However, since many versions now, that should no longer be necessary. You may get a small benefit by doing that, but in general, you can achieve the same if you set the number of encoding threads a bit higher than what the CPU has to offer physically (as e.g. 30-50% more than the installation/setup default).

- Carsten