Inserting accessibility content to a DCP

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
xultz

Inserting accessibility content to a DCP

Post by xultz »

Hello

Here in Brazil there is a law that demands all cinema movies to include accessibility contents in the form of audio-description, closed captions and sign language.
I got some questions about how to do it and I made a video tutorial explaining this topic, in the video I used DCP-O-Matic to create a DCP and tested it on a movie theater, playing the accessibility contents on end user devices.

If anyone is interested in that topic, can check the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cqHU7REDJI

With best regards
Christian Schultz
Carsten

Re: Inserting accessibility content to a DCP

Post by Carsten »

Hi Christian,

nice video. A bit longish, but on the other hand, it's nice to see how you start with the basic elements, and then end in an actual auditorium with all the content on screen and personal devices. I also liked the way you referenced the ISDCF audio mapping document.
I feel you rushed a bit over the arrangement of the individual content elements (e.g. you could have showed the timeline view for a quick check to see wether everything is in place).

But - don't get me wrong, nice work, and excellent demonstration! I followed the Libras for cinema discussion on the ISDCF mailing list closely, and how they rushed legislation without actual technology being available. Good to see that everything comes together now, and that DCP-o-matic can actually be a part of it.

- Carsten
xultz

Post by xultz »

Hello, thank you for your reply

This was the first time I did a video tutorial and the first time I did something in english (which is obvious based on my accent and lots of language mistakes), and I'm not very experienced in DCP-O-Matic (all I can do in the software is basically what is shown in the video...), my thought was that if that content can be useful to anyone, it is worth produzing it.
This accessibility topic here in Brazil is being settled (at least!), we reached the law deadline and all movie theaters is rushing to equip the auditoriuns with accessibility devices (in the last minute, as it is almost cultural in Brazil...), but things are working good, the movies is being distributed with the acessibility content, and I get many news informing that a lot of people with disabilities is going to the cinema, which is amazing.

I hope that pretty soon many other countries follow the Brazilian iniciative to demand accesibility in the movie theaters, including the sign language, which is very important for the deaf users.

Best regards
Paulo Castro

Post by Paulo Castro »

Hello, Christian. How are you?

I'm also brazilian and working with acessibility facing the same situation of delivering acessibility content and legal depository for Ancine.

Maybe you could help me with a question. I have a clients DCP in an data traveller to check if the acessibility content is there and fully working. Do you know if I can do this with DCP-o-matic?

It would be nice to exchange more information about this topic.

Best regards.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

DCP-o-matic player will display subtitles (timed text) as well as closed captions (there is a closed captions monitor). Currently, there is no way to hear the HI/VI-N audio tracks in DCP-o-matic player (they are missing in the mix-down), but they can be checked and listened to in DCP-o-matic main application using the audio matrix. You can also open the audio MXF file/reels with the free Audacity (with FFMPEG plugin) and check channel placement and levels. That is, if the DCP is unencrypted.

The LIBRAS audio track can be 'seen' in audacity as well, but of, cause, just the audio encoded data, not the video. Maybe at some point someone will write a LiBRAS audio decoder. I would love to see this in e.g. VLC. The trouble is, the audio-encoded LIBRAS so far is a DCI/DCP speciality in Brazil only, so, even with VLC being able to play/decode DCP, there is probably little incentive for a programmer to build a decoder.

- Carsten
WR5

Post by WR5 »

Olá Christian, não consigo acessar o vídeo do tutorial que mandou. Pode liberar o acesso?
Abraços,
Obrigado
guidelamuta

Post by guidelamuta »

Any link to the video?

Best,
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I contacted Christian in a private message about his video. Let's see...

- Carsten
willian.lino

Post by willian.lino »

guidelamuta wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:12 am Any link to the video?

Best,
Hi,
My name is Willian, I'm following the forum discussions. Learning more every day. :D
Please, it would be great to have access to Cristian's video, you have access to the video, can you send it to me?

Thank you very much,
Willian
willian.lino

Post by willian.lino »

WR5 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:51 pm Olá Christian, não consigo acessar o vídeo do tutorial que mandou. Pode liberar o acesso?
Abraços,
Obrigado
Olá WR5, tudo bem?
Sou do Brasil e estou muito interessado no video, você poderia compartilhar comigo?

Muito obrigado,
Willian