How to Test Encrypted DCP with KDM on DCP-O-Matic Player?

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Rajiv

How to Test Encrypted DCP with KDM on DCP-O-Matic Player?

Post by Rajiv »

Dear All

I managed to create my first Encrypted DCP using DCP-O-Matic.

I would like to test it on my MacBookPro using DCP-O-Matic Player and KDM Key.

How do I test it? How do I get the Certificate of the Player ?

Any help is much appreciated!

Regards
Rajiv
Carsten

Re: How to Test Encrypted DCP with KDM on DCP-O-Matic Player?

Post by Carsten »

You can set-up your own complete encryption/KDM/decryption chain with little effort.

Load the encrypted DCP into DCP-o-matic player. It will say 'Needs KDM'.

In Player (or DCP-o-matic main - it's the same prefs) goto 'Keys' and 'Export KDM decryption certificate'. This is the player cert - it's the same thing you will receive when asking a cinema for their server certificate. When saving (or afterwards), set a useful name, like 'MyMacBookPro.pem'. You may add a date to the file name. It is important these certs stay constant over time. If you delete your DCP-o-matic prefs, this old certificate will no longer be valid.

You have to import this certificate into the DCP-o-matic installation that you use(d) to create the encrypted DCP. Essentially, you create a 'screen' for your own player machine. Re-Open the project with your encrypted DCP. Go to 'Jobs->Make KDMs'. Choose 'Add Cinema'.
For cinema name, you could e.g. use 'MyPlayers', then 'Add screen' e.g. 'MacBookPro'. Then for Recipient certificate, choose the certifcate/PEM file you exported as shown above. Hit 'OK', and you are done. You can now select that 'screen' (your player) as a target for KDM creation. If you choose 'Write to' on the bottom right of the KDM creation dialog, it will write the KDM to that location. In DCP-o-matic player, choose 'File->Add KDM', and point to this KDM in order to play the encrypted DCP.

There is a slightly easier way using DKDMs, but this method shows you also how it works with real cinema certificates. Note this works both on the same machine for creating and playing DCPs, as well as between two or more separate machines.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Carsten

Thanks a lot for the detailed information and steps. Really appreciate!

I will test it now.

Regards
Rajiv
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Carsten,

Just followed your steps and it worked!

Thanks a lot for the help!