DCP stuck at 99% and been that way for an hr

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
neato_orpheus

DCP stuck at 99% and been that way for an hr

Post by neato_orpheus »

So I am encoding a DCP. This morning I wake up to see that DCP o matic has been stuck on 1s until finished for an hr.

Is this a bug? Do I need to start over?
Carsten

Re: DCP stuck at 99% and been that way for an hr

Post by Carsten »

What kind of machine is this, and how long is that movie's runtime? Are you sure there is enough space on the target drive/partition?

- Carsten
neato_orpheus

Post by neato_orpheus »

Its on a PC running windows 10

I was exporting to a external HD and it had plenty of space,

I ended up restarting the encoding. I am doing it directly to my laptop this time. I have a little less than half a TB of space but that is enough.

I ran my first DP and it was fine. I don't know what went wrong.

Any insight so I dont have a repeat?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

External drives can become unreliable at times when used over a longer time span continuously, that's the only explanation I'd guess on.

Previously, we sometimes also had (rare) issues with specific antivirus software. Are you sure the external drive was formatted with NTFS?

- Carsten
neato_orpheus

Post by neato_orpheus »

The drive is formatted for mac but I was using mac drive to read and write onto it.
The thing is the folder was there and so what the DCP but the asset map was missing.

So I am doing it this time onto the desktop. Hopefully this works. Also is there two parts to the process? I see that it transcodes at first and then it has a second phase right? Because I did it before on full frame and it looked like there were two processes. With that being said I think it stopped on the switchover to the second.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I would assume the alien disc format being the reason. I have seen similar issues on Mac when writing to NTFS partitions under special conditions.
That said, the 'stuck at 99%' happens ocassionally, I can't remember what the reasons where, and some of these bugs have certainly be resolved.

Yes, the DCP creation is a multi-stage process. All the percentage run-up is the J2K encoding and audio file writing. Carl may give more detailed explanation, but I think after that all media files are read through again and hashes are calculated, and the XML/metadata writing/completion happens at the last stage. That seems to be where your conversion failed. Usually, at that stage if you are sure that all your media have been created, it is easy and quick to just rewrap the DCP based on the preexisting compiled media files. So you don't have to run through the lengthy conversion again.

- Carsten