Encoding server with NAS

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Patara

Encoding server with NAS

Post by Patara »

Hello, again!

I searched but couldn't find anything on the forums. I hope it doesn't mean it's an embarrassingly stupid question :roll:

We've got a Synology NAS "laying around" and I was curious if it could be in any aid using the DCP-o-matic encoding server? (For reference, the DS418 with a quad-core 1.4GHz CPU and 2GB memory. It's not that far from my laptop doing ~1.8fps :lol: ) My colleague said that they are not "a processor" but mere storage. I thought they were both, where the main issue being that it runs it's own operative system? It's Linux based but not compatible with any current DCP-o-matic version?

How far off am I? :lol:

The other suggestion as I understood was to use the NAS as the destination for the created DCP if the network setup is solid. But how much in speed or power would one gain by doing so?

Thanks in advance!
Carsten

Re: Encoding server with NAS

Post by Carsten »

In theory, one could utilize a NAS CPU for remote encoding. However, I don't think it is worth the effort. You can buy second hand multicore/multi CPU systems for very little money now that will deliver 10-15fps. The mentioned NAS offers no open software platform (some do), so, it would be impossible, or at least, very hard to compile DCP-o-matic to run on it.

- Carsten
Patara

Post by Patara »

Great, thanks for the reply!
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

You can buy second hand quad/sixcore HT workstations for as little as 100-150US$ (e.g. HP Z200/220/400) on ebay. They will give much higher encoding rates than a NAS CPU.

- Carsten